RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently traded for an 01 RR HSE 4.6L. Had it for about a week and fell in love. Went on vacation and was gone for a week (it sit at my house untouched). The day i came back home the key fob wouldnt unlock it. So i stuck the key in the door and unlocked it (only the driver door unlocked). I sit in the driver seat and the dashboard said somthing like "motion detected" and the alarm went off (no sound, just lights) I then tried to start it hoping to rest the alarm and it said engine disabled press remote. I then searched several websites including this one and triex everything eka related and nothing worked.

The next day i called the only shop in the area that would touch a range rover, and asked if they could bypass the alarm system. They said they have everything that the dealer has and they will do it and the cost will be $95-$200. I had it towed to them on a thursday, the following tuesday they called and said it was ready to go. They said they resync'd the key fob but couldnt bypass the alarm on a range rover, but they could on a discovery.

When i get to the shop they tell me as long as the RR doesnt sit for a while this issue wont happen again, and they tested the charging system and it was fine. $200 later im on my way.

The following day on my way home from town pulling into my driveway all the locks (excluding the drivers door) started locking and unlocking. I get out and try to lock the doors with the fob and nothing happens. So i stuck the key in the ignition and what do you know.... engine disabled.

I call them back and they say tow it back and they will sync the key for free this time and try and figure whats causing it. So i had it towed that day.

That was over a week ago, so i stopped by today and they said it will be another week before they look at it. Im starting to lose hope.

Any idea on whats causing this?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I have a bad feeling I know, but what is the name of this "shop"?
If you did some reading, you'd know how easy it is to synch up the remotes...

Martin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Henrys Import Repair.

And I have done a lot of reading on how "easy" it is to sync a remote and tried for a couple hours and nothing worked.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Bouncing locks says you've got a problem with one of the door latch microswitches so it won't allow you to sync it. Read the sticky on how to test them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The micro-switches in the lock on your drivers door are most likely bad. It's fairly simple to replace the door latch assembly. I would be sure to use a new genuine LR part. There also have been posts regarding R&R of the micro-switches which can be found by searching the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the quick responses. Im guessing rhe microswitches would be also causing the alarm to fault.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,198 Posts
More than likely - if the vehicle thinks a door has been opened when it's locked and alarmed, then it will give alarm faults and say that it's been triggered. A faulty Door Ajar microswitch could give that issue for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts