RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_5700.jpg
I've ordered the belt to replace this but am wondering what caused it, and if I should do the belt tensioner while I'm in there?

I've been smelling burning rubber for the last couple of days (usually smell burning oil but that's another thread) and looking around the engine for the culprit I found this.
There is some residue on the alternator in the pic, as well as other areas along the belts path. It appears to have a string or cord that got caught on something because at the top and bottom of that damage there is a frayed end...and I found a small piece of string caught on the spindle where the cooling fan attaches.

Is this normal wear? I had to replace the alternator about 10 months ago and i've read that a failing tensioner will take out your alternator and give the serpentine belt weird damage, but as I'm new to this I am hoping for some forum feedback.

As always, I sincerely appreciate any time spent answering car questions. Love this thing dearly and want her to be around for a while.

AB

·
Registered
559 Posts
Take the belt off, and then check all the pulleys for wear or rough edges, bearing wobble or stiffness, etc.

I would expect that if any of the pulleys wobble out of alignment, this would potentially cause the belt rub the edges on other pulleys, and hence give the wear you are seeing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Going to try that this weekend, will report back.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Also check clearances on bolts, studs, sensor edges etc. To me it looks more like a rub than an alignment issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also check clearances on bolts, studs, sensor edges etc. To me it looks more like a rub than an alignment issue.

I was wondering about that. It really looks like it was making contact with something and then the cord inside got ripped out. Not sure why or what happened.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
serpentine_After.jpg
Following up on the thread here: replaced the serpentine belt and the tensioner pulley about 2 weeks ago. So far everything seems to be running great and there is no new debris/residue inside the engine compartment after about 500 miles of driving.

All the pulleys spun pretty well and the surfaces seemed ok to me, and as the residue seemed to be mainly on the alternator (housing, bracket?) we just decided to go ahead and change the tensioner too.
I washed the engine down with degreaser and gave it a good cleaning in hopes that I would be able to identify the source of our oil leak more accurately, pretty certain it is a valve cover gasket issue now.

Thank you RRToadHall and pwood999 for your feedback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts