RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, I am new to this site and I have some questions I'd like to ask. I have a 2001 Range Rover with a blown engine and I found a matching engine with 69k miles for $2500 with $250 shipping from a 2002 Range Rover (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-2002-LAND-ROVER-RANGE-ROVER-4-6L-MOTOR-WITH-69-166-MILES-/151800825203?fits=Make:Land+Rover|Model:Range+Rover&hash=item235808c573:g:lFMAAOSwv0tVAJDM&vxp=mtr). If I buy this motor how hard would the swap be? I was thinking if I could take the new engine and send it somewhere to get cleaned out and gone through with fresh gaskets put in after purchase?? I feel like this engine shouldn't be hard to get in if I have all the proper pieces with it. The engine that's in the car now, the bottom end is shot to the best of my knowledge, but the top end of the motor is salvageable, so I think I would have everything I need to make this go as smooth as possible. I have a budget of 4k, will this get the job done if I have some connections on labor??

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
The only difference might be the addition of secondary air injection on the 2002. Everything else should be the same. Download RAVE for step by step directions and pictures. See the FAQ stickie above.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've just had mine out and rebuilt, sounds like it would be cheaper for you to do the same, I found by stripping heads etc off. the bellhousing bolts were accessible, although tightened by a 400lb gorilla,, rebuild with a secondhand crank, new rings, shells, chain and gears, oil pump , gaskets, bolts was about £400 (600$) and I know what's been done,, I won't say was an easy job, but wasn't hard either, if your a good diy mechanic it's something that you can do,

·
Registered
230 Posts
Check-over and new gaskets is a wise move but why send it out? The motor is about as basic as a V8 gets so there is no reason why anyone with a reasonable degree of mechanical savvy couldn't do a decent check themselves. Biggest problem is the sheer size'n weight of the lump. Best done on a rotator type stand rather than chasing around a bench. Probably the only really ticklish job first time though is mating the motor to the transmission without lunching the oil pump by mis-alignment.

Budget may be on the low side if you want to take the opportunity to sort out other potential issues whilst you have easy access. I'd certainly replace the water pump, OEM not brand Z please, crankshaft oil seals and serpentine belt idler pulleys before putting the engine in. You can replace the idler pulley bearings but last time I looked the saving wasn't really worth the work unless you took a chance on no-name economy import bearings. Much easier to do such jobs when its out and at 69,000 miles but 13 years old you are definitely closing on the the window where problems are likely. Age out / wear out rates are a conundrum. After the first 10 years I always figure that every year on lightly used, say under 10,000 (ish) miles per annum, vehicle counts as around 5,000 miles extra. So I read that 69,000 as more like 85,000 equivalent miles.

RAVE is an excellent resource. Print out all the relevant pages, slide them into clear view loose leaf binder envelopes and use a decent binder to make up your own custom shop manual for the job with the pages you need to refer to in order. Oily finger proof, and, if need be, you can slip notes to yourself in. Mine also has some handy pictures and "how I did it" notes lifted from this and other on-line resources. RAVE is a professionals tool aimed at the fully equipped Range Rover shop so it doesn't cover many of the effective work-arounds appropriate to folk with more limited reosurces. Sometimes its convenient to do more than one copy of a particular page to save flicking back and forth.

Clive

·
Registered
68 Posts
I never trust second hand engines& for RRs even less so . Better to pull existing donk out dismantle & see what needs doing first i ,measure bore & crank wear & cam lobes . Perhaps buy a exchange reconditioned short block ( if they have them ) & get heads checked Easy to rebuild . unlike my BMW 540 I just finished .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. My cousin is a mechanic, he has worked for gm and kia dealerships since he was 18, and his family has owned a shop as well. He now works at his family's place and I'm hoping to have the work done there. The engine is not salvageable, one of the pistons blew through the block according to my dad, so we're thinking about a new engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts