Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 RR HSE, and I have a question(s).

The air suspension has already been removed and replaced with coils, all by the dealer (the air sus gave out twice, and decided it was time to give up). I have decided to turn my P38 into an off-road rig, and I feel like a good first step is to put a lift into it, along with some bigger tires. This brings me to my question. What size lift would you guys recommend? I have heard numerous opinions, but none of them give me a clear answer. What's the optimal number for you guys, and what's your reasoning behind it? I was thinking between 2 and 3 inches. With said lifts, what size tires would be able to fit without much trimming and modifying? I'm looking at something a little more serious than a normal AT tire, something that can get me unstuck before I need to pull out the winch line :lol:

I am willing (and aware) that some modifications will have to be done (stronger axels, etc), but I'm not 100% certain as to which have to be done with each mod I do. I am relatively new to the modifying scene (especially to Rovers), but I am also relatively savy with mechanics, and I am a quick learner. Anything that you guys could help me with would be greatly appreciated.

I will update to this post as time goes on (so as to prevent multiple posts/threads with very specific questions. Here is a picture of my RR as of now:

In the end, I hope to have something similar to this, with a front bumper/brush-guard/winch mount, roof-rack, rear bumper, skid plates & sliders, larger tires, lifted, a set of lights on my brush guard, as well as possibly some up on the roof rack, and a set of brush cables running from my brush-guard to my roof-rack (some of those modifications are shown in the picture below). I may also slap on a CB whip haha!

As I said, I feel like my first step should be the lift & tires. What do you guys think?

Let me know

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
IIRC, 33" tires are the biggest you can fit without getting into trimming. A 2" lift should be fine for 33's. I wouldn't worry too much about axles breaking, unless you install a locker(s).
If you want to go up to 36" or so tires, you'll need to do some bumper trimming, as well as add another 2" or so of lift... which you may as well do a body lift for, since 4" of suspension would pull your axles in a bit far and possibly mess up the driveline angles (all of which can be fixed with a little money).

·
Registered
701 Posts
super_monster, I think the one at the bottom is one he wants it to look like. Not actually his, unless he swapped his with the older style head lights. Personally, jmanson, yours looks beautiful as it is. It would still look good even with a lift and some really good a/ts, but adding all that extra crap... idk each to their own.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
A bumper that incorporates a winch and also allows more ground clearance isn't extra crap if you actually do some wheelin. The rock sliders save bodies from thousands of damage...and with the long wheelbase of the P38 they're the first thing that should go on.

Good luck on your build up man. :thumb: Take lots of pics.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lrscott said:
super_monster, I think the one at the bottom is one he wants it to look like. Not actually his, unless he swapped his with the older style head lights. Personally, jmanson, yours looks beautiful as it is. It would still look good even with a lift and some really good a/ts, but adding all that extra crap... idk each to their own.
You're correct. It is a GENERAL idea of what I would like it to look like, but only to the idea of actual accessories (as in, it has a winch bumper and sliders. I too would like those components, although not necessarily those identical ones - I'm up for different styles as well).

I also agree with you. I absolutely love the way mine looks now. LOVE it! However, there are a couple of reasons why I would like to change it. It has been a daily driver since it was bought, and is starting to become expensive. As a student, I am relatively pressed for money, and as such, using it as a daily driver isn't really in my cards - I can't afford to buy the high-grade gas that it requires - not to mention the amount it burns! Also, I really have no need for a daily driver, as when I'm at school, everything (and I mean absolutely everything) is within a 5 - 10 minute walk. I also don't want to pay for parking space up here, nor do I want to have to worry about it (I go to school away from home, and it's a very student-oriented town with many drunk and disorderly students wandering the streets, and I don't want any of the overprivileged/disrespectful ones doing anything abusive to my baby!) This pretty much means that it's my car for half of the year. I only insure it for the time that I'm home anyway - which also saves me money. :D

Which brings me to the decision I've made. When I am home in the summer months, I love using it to play around off road. There have been times where I could have used various modifications, which is usually a good indicator that one is doing enough activities to warrant the purchase of said mods. I am converting this vehicle into an off-road rig because I know that the enjoyment I will get out of it as a trail-rig (not to mention the joy I'll get out of the process of modification) will be much greater than if I were to just leave it the way it were as a daily driver. Besides, by the time I truly need a car that I will drive every day, I will have hopefully earned enough money at work over the next couple of years to afford to buy something of the sort - I'm thinking a used Subaru or something... a known reliable car that I could pick up for around $5,000 - $7,000.

That's pretty much my situation at the moment. I had wanted to restore an old classic car with my Dad over the next 5 - 10 years, but it wasn't in the books, so I've decided instead to do this `)

I will be sure to post pictures as the project moves along. It won't get started until after April though, as school does take priority. I really plan on doing this over the next few years or so, as there is also a great deal that I must learn along the way (which I look forward to) before I will be able to perform the necessary work on the vehicle.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey man, nice to see a local. Shoot me a PM if you wanna ever grab a coffee and talk rovers.

Ive owned a few and had 1990 RR Classic I modified and wheeled the piss out of.

Good luck o your quest to make the P38 an offroader, IMO, you started with the wrong Rover(not because it is not capable, but because of all the electronics).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi jmason,

2" lift if you don't want to modify a bunch of stuff. 32-33" tires ok. 3" lift,most likely modify drive shafts (due to angles), brakelines, abs lines, possibly front radius arms and an adjustable pan hard rod. If you add lockers then add HD half shafts and cv' + gears. In my DII I had to do all the above. Don't know if you will have to do all. Cost a pretty penny to do. So work alot of hours and over-time. Talking to guy's from Rock Rover, Rovertym Engineering, Great Basin Rovers, and Lucky 8 can give you some ideas. You might take a chance and visit discoweb.org :twisted: but be warned those guys can be extreme. TIP: Use the search button before you ask a question or expect to get your ass handed to you. :crybaby2: Seen it many time. Not pretty. I believe most on this post (including me) still have the air suspention and are modifying to get the most. Not too many have converted to coils. Good luck on the project. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
On another note... I got into wheeling Jeeps when I was in college...just like you. If you don't have much money to be throwing around (just like me...then AND now) you may want to take it easy on the wheeling for awhile. Adding parts is fun and all, but eventually you'll start breaking stuff....expensive stuff. If I were you, and you still had your heart set on doing some mods and wheeling... I'd throw on some 32" mudders, sliders, trim your front and rear bumpers yourself for more clearance, and just let the traction control do it's thing. This way you shouldn't run the risk of snapping an axle like you might with lockers. I'd also avoid water deeper than your door sill. If you find you need a little more lift with the 32's, than add some 2" spacers to your coils, and get some new shocks to take advantage of the increased height. I would normally recommend Doetsch Tech, but they've had their heads up their asses lately, so check with Dennis at Rover Rennovations to see what he has for extended height shocks. There's a guy on here "leftlanetruckin" who made a couple sets of kick-ass sliders that he might sell you at a good price. PM him to find out. He can even add air line adapters to give you some extra air volume to fill tires and run air tools on the trail.

Good luck!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

Good luck with the project, we want some pics `)

I like the look of your rig now but if we are talking about wheelin' forget it.. I think you have a point, the RR need tyres, need protection, its a very heavy offroaders, every time you touch the ground leaves scars... I have the same opinion that kmagnuss about the rig.

Cheers,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts