Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Many thanks one & all for a great Forum!

Like many of you I want to retain the original factory sound system which satisfies my personal requirements in terms of overall sound quality, but would like to have that extra 'low cost' facility to hook up an iPod (or any other mp3 device for that matter) to an;Auxiliary input using either the outdated tape deck or CD Changer audio inputs to the head end unit.

I've searched the forum and read many possible solutions, but none seem to cover a post 2000 Range with the Alpine 'Premium Sound' system and wondered if anyone had managed to successfully crack the solution without buying third party interface modules?

I also own a 99 Jaguar XJR8 with a 'premium sound' package which too consists of an Alpine CD Changer the same as the Range and an Alpine head end unit. With this set up I was quite simply able to splice into the audio outputs from the CD unit and run to a 3.5mm jack socket in the centre console. If I take the CD magazine out of the player and select CD at the head end the display reads 'No Magazine' but it is still possible to play an iPod/mp3 player through the CD audio inputs. However, On my 2001 Range Vogue if the CD magazine is removed you can't even select CD at the head end.

I've checked the Rave wiring diagrams against the cars loom and have come up with the following wiring / pin out configuration at the head end:

Blue Connector (CD Unit)

Pin 13 - Red - Right Audio +ve
Pin 14 - White - Left Audio +ve
Pin 15 - Brown - CD unit -ve (ground)
Pin 16 - Grey - Right Audio -ve
Pin 17 - Black - Left Audio -ve (Note: Identified as orange in the Rave manual)
Pin 19 - Green - CD unit +ve (Ignition position 1)
Pin 20 - Purple - CD unit +ve (unswitched supply)

However.... When this lot reaches the CD changer there's eight cores in the loom. Somewhere along the line it's picked up an orange core which either does or doesn't appear on the Rave diagram? Does anyone know its origin or function?

What's also bugging me is, given the known and confirmed connections of the blue connector serving the CD unit how does the head end unit know that the CD magazine is 'in or out'? (not an issue I've ever bothered or needed to understand with the Jag). There appears to be no 'hard wired' signalling between head end and CD changer! So how does the head end unit know not to allow the selection of CD mode if the magazine is removed?

If anyone's cracked my dilemma I'd be grateful for some guidance, and equally so if anyone's managed to hack into this later models cassette deck audio inputs.

I will keep investigating and post any findings here. But in the meantime, thank you in anticipation of any replies.

Regards
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
with the earlier Clarion if the magazine was removed or no Cd was in it the head unit would go to another source.

The way i got round this was fit the magazine with a cd in it and put a double pole double throw relay on the audio outs from the CD player, then it can play to its hearts content but the audio is coming from the mp3, the head unit is none the wiser.

The head unit knows because it constantly gets data as to cd#, track#, elapsed time etc... i guess if the head unit doesn't get this info it defaults to another source

G

·
The easiest/cheapest/quickest way to add an AUX input to the existing system is just to add an in-line FM modulator..... Yes, it is a 'third party' module, but it is the most effective (& least invasive) route !

[I wonder if the 'extra' orange wire is maybe a 'muting' function ?]

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Storey Wilson has cracked the connection to the cassette audio but it means some stripping down of the head unit, and I think he had a problem with the cassette player needing a tape inside to convince the amp to keep running ...

G

·
- The CD changer unit may simply draw some extra current with the magazine in and the head unit senses this ?

- Looking at the related diagram (and although not particularly detailed, eg. no 'signal designations'...) it looks like the 'extra orange wire' may be for additional screening.... (?)

Attachments

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Gents, thank you for your replies. (Hopefully, I'm not been presumptuous in assuming you're all gents)!

As a quick fix I have to agree with LarryS' post. At least this way if you wanted to revert back to CD's you only have to flick a switch (Good call LarryS), and as SpiggyTopes notes, the steering wheel controls will still work (Well at least the volume control). But as matter of interest what happens to the system once the 'sacrifficial' CD has played out to the end? I guess you could burn a CD with hours of nothing on it if it turns out the system switches to another source once the CD's played out.

I'm still interested to find out how on earth the head end unit detects errors on the CD Changer without any obvious hard wired outputs or bus/data cable? (Point taken Davewp38, but more than one error can be displayed on the head end such as no magazine, jammed mechanism, upside down CD's and unreadable discs).

I'd also like to trace and understand the origin / purpose of the orange cable that appears at the CD Changer but isn't present at the head unit and can't be identified on the Rave diagrams. (By me in any case).

Maybe this weekend I'll strip down the CD Changer to gain a better understanding of the workings.

In the meantime, thanks for all your interest and advice.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
i think pin 5 might be the I Bus (serial data) as i understand it the disco has the same cd changer and the I bus is pin 5 grey turning to a pink. I can't recall the cd dropping out but it was awhile ago, if it was an issue i'm sure you could find 6 audio cd's

G

·
First of all on the Interweb Chris you can obtain "silent (or as you say 'sacrificial') CDs" to use with the relay/switch arrangement above.... ie. you can just use one of these in the magazine (for i-pod/Mp3/etc purposes)

As far as the messages between the changer/head units are concerned there are several ways to do this if a dedicated signalling bus is not used (as I suspect it may be on these older units...!) For example once the mag. is known to be present the units can signal using 'out-of-band' frequencies (either on the power supply line and/or) via the audio channel/s eg. @ 30Khz + ..... ie. they are there all the time but you just can't hear them !?

Finally, if you look at that ('not very detailed') diagram I posted up previously you can see in the bottom left that 'extra' orange wire/ 'O'; This supplies a general eth. screening to the connection loom, in addition to the individual audio signal screening from the 'N' top left, OK ?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hi Gents, thank you for your replies. (Hopefully, I'm not been presumptuous in assuming you're all gents)!

As a quick fix I have to agree with LarryS' post. At least this way if you wanted to revert back to CD's you only have to flick a switch (Good call LarryS), and as SpiggyTopes notes, the steering wheel controls will still work (Well at least the volume control). But as matter of interest what happens to the system once the 'sacrifficial' CD has played out to the end? I guess you could burn a CD with hours of nothing on it if it turns out the system switches to another source once the CD's played out.

I'm still interested to find out how on earth the head end unit detects errors on the CD Changer without any obvious hard wired outputs or bus/data cable? (Point taken Davewp38, but more than one error can be displayed on the head end such as no magazine, jammed mechanism, upside down CD's and unreadable discs).

I'd also like to trace and understand the origin / purpose of the orange cable that appears at the CD Changer but isn't present at the head unit and can't be identified on the Rave diagrams. (By me in any case).

Maybe this weekend I'll strip down the CD Changer to gain a better understanding of the workings.

In the meantime, thanks for all your interest and advice.

Chris
Just a comment here - the ipod interface box allows control of volume, next/previous track from the steering wheel and 6 playlists from the head unit. Not too bad at all.

G

·
Just a comment here - the ipod interface box allows control of volume, next/previous track from the steering wheel and 6 playlists from the head unit. Not too bad at all.
Some interface boxes may allow such interaction with an iPod Spiggy.... but not the one in that 'incaripod' link above, which states:

"Please Note: The Aux input adapter provides audio input only. No charge or control feature is supported"

·
Registered
922 Posts
I thought long and hard about the "loss" of the CD changer and in the end it was no big deal to remove it.
The MP3 format is sufficient quality in the less than perfect acoustics of the P38
Given that all controls are exactly the same, the "data" storage arrangements become irrelevant.
Being able to store several hundred CDs on a Classic iPod won the day rather than having to carry them and change out the casette every few hours...
Solid state drives are becoming larger/faster/cheaper and are far more suitable to "proper" SUV apoplications...
Tread your own path!!`)

EDIT: Hi DaveWP38... the device I referenced charges the iPod, and all steering wheel/Alpine head controls are exactly the same as for the CD changer

G

·
No problem, Hoges - but the 'no [iPod] charge' etc quote above is actually from their own web site description,and on the link given .... !!

http://www.incaripod.com/Brand/ICD/ICD_Auxiliary_Audio_Input_Interface

- Again my main issue here is about any/all such ads. that (too often) just give you 'the good news'.... but not 'the bad news' ...

In fact with most of what is suggested above the steering wheel volume etc controls will not be affected anyway as they are just part of the Radio head end functionality.

Again, with Larry's (switch/relay) suggestion and a 'silent' CD you can play both MP3s and CDs of course... but as you say 'Tread Your Own Path'

I would personally be more interested in a plug-compatible CD-Changer which allows MP3 CDs to be used, too !

- So many of the ICE systems have proprietary [and hence incompatible] cables/systems etc.... all probably deliberately-so, too... and so the more 'interface systems/units' to overcome this the better, obviously !

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
No problem, Hoges - but the 'no [iPod] charge' etc quote above is actually from their own web site description,and on the link given .... !!

http://www.incaripod.com/Brand/ICD/ICD_Auxiliary_Audio_Input_Interface

- Again my main issue here is about any/all such ads. that (too often) just give you 'the good news'.... but not 'the bad news' ...

In fact with most of what is suggested above the steering wheel volume etc controls will not be affected anyway as they are just part of the Radio head end functionality.

Again, with Larry's (switch/relay) suggestion and a 'silent' CD you can play both MP3s and CDs of course... but as you say 'Tread Your Own Path'

I would personally be more interested in a plug-compatible CD-Changer which allows MP3 CDs to be used, too !

- So many of the ICE systems have proprietary [and hence incompatible] cables/systems etc.... all probably deliberately-so, too... and so the more 'interface systems/units' to overcome this the better, obviously !

It exists, but I can't find it (your honour) .... have a search on Google "Alpine replacement ... MP3 CD"

G

·
Yes, but at £100+ it should, too !!.......

It exists, but I can't find it (your honour) .... have a search on Google "Alpine replacement ... MP3 CD"

Assuming you mean a 'plug-compatible MP3 CD Player' does exist I will have another trawl for one, Cheers !

Could only find one for 99-02 rigs (so far).... @ £275...

http://www.addacdchanger.co.uk/MP3_...n_1/Range_Rover_MP3_Changer_(PACK_1_-_Alpine)

G

·
Meanwhile back on track/topic (to an extent) IIRC there is a separate Eth/Power feed to the CD Changer, is there not ?.....

What diagram in RAVE are you using as the source of your info on wire/pin designations, Chris ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.