RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO, THIS IS MY PROBLEM... WENT TO OPEN AND START MY P38. I OPENED DOOR WITH KEY (remote broke years ago), alarm went off. Tried to insert key to turn over...engine disabled reading. Tried reset using key with NAS general code 1515, did not work. Since I think the problem is a worn out lock switch, which I am ok with replacing myself, but can anyone tell me how to get the engine to start or how I can get into neutral so I can tow it on a flat bed home to do the work.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Best always, Steve

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Easiest way to get it into neutral is to remove the shifter cable from the transmission. Undo the nut, remove the cable and turn the lever by hand with pliers.

Martin

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
Insert a fuse into position 11 to put the transfer box into neutral for towing. It won''t matter what gear the actual gearbox is in then.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Insert a fuse into position 11 to put the transfer box into neutral for towing. It won''t matter what gear the actual gearbox is in then.
Absolutly the way to go. The fuse position is in the drivers seat fuse box ( side of drivers seat ) I have towed a car 70 miles in that state with no ill effects as there was no other practical way. You will get a message in the dash readout something like "transfer neutral". The position in the fusebox is normally empty so just pop in a spare.

·
Registered
666 Posts
re fuse - there will not be a fuse in place otherwise you'd not be able to get any gears :) that's why it's empty at the moment - its covered in the cars handbook.... if you've a faultmate you can enter the eka via that even if the lock is 'fubar'

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very Much Thanks to all of you! Worked perfect... now at home for new parts and then back on the road.

Steve from Cardiff

R

·
0 Posts
does the becm allow acces to put in EKA when alarm is armed and engine locked?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Yes, the BECM has a setting to enable the EKA code and the EKA code must be written to the BECM. This is not done at the factory in all cases. If the car has locked you out and the engine has become disabled because of an alarmed state, you can activate the EKA code which may unarm the alarmed condition. Below are some of the settings avail..

BECM SETTINGS
SUNROOFFOG LIGHTSDAYLIGHT RUNNING
Fitted
Not Fitted
Rear SidelightsFront and Rear Sidelights
Rear Dipped BeamFront and Rear Main Beam
Rear Main Beam
Disabled
Dipped Beam and Sidelights
Sidelights
TRIP COMPUTERKEY WARNINGCAT AMP/HEATERDRIVE
Fitted