RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Holland & Holland #177 knee bolster under steering wheel

Hi all
What is the purpose of the metal plate attached to the abs plastic cover panel under the steering wheel?
It's seems overly cumbersome and promotes the eventual breaking of this panel

Also why is there a havoc small hose directed and attached to this panel? Seems pretty useless

Cheers Paul

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Re: 2001 Holland & Holland #177 knee bolster under steering wheel

Paul,
the plate is there to support the plastic that always cracks!
The vent is a just that, a HVAC vent, which works OK when the system is all sealed up and working as designed.

Martin

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi Martin
So I can leave this metal plate out?
No safety implications?
Paul

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts

The vent is commonly called a crotch cooler. It's a god send in loose fitting shorts in Arizona summers.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts

Not sure why you would want to leave the plate out, as it looks like crap with all the wiring exposed!
If the plastic is cracked etc, you can screw or glue it back onto the metal. You can also recover in leather, which is what they did in the later models IIRC.

·
Registered
234 Posts

The metal plate is there to stop your knees being driven up into the under dash structure in a heavy frontal impact. The underdash vent is to refrigerate the sperm until its needed :lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hi thank you for your replies
I would detach the metal from the cover as the metal is causing the cover to crack at the plastic mounting locations - the cover then can be fixed in the normal position.
Also with the metal attached the alignment with the dash and screw fixings for the instrument binnacle surround do not match up - and if forced this cover will fail also.
As this is a holland and holland this panel is already leather covered and I suspect extremely expensive to replace - if available However as you mention there is a safety issues here if this plate is left off, I will see if this plate can be attached to the dash supports independent of the plastic cover
Thanks
Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts