RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a 2000 RR HSE on Craigs list, 113K miles, brush guard, driving lights, roof rack, rear reciever, front reciever, GPS (such as it is), Black over tan, non-working cruise, and AC needing charged. Owner says air suspension works in auto and manual and says there are no other issues. Asking $4200 in Private Sale.

I have the vin (SALPV164XYA438409) and need a decoder that will tell me if it has the whole towing/cooling package. Tried the archives and came up with a recommendation to use Topix, but am not a subscriber. Is there another vin decoder that will list all the accessories/options that came on this particular P38?

Also KBB, NADA, Edmonds are not very kind on value; what is a reasonable price to pay for an average or good condition? I am looking because the tow package, front receiver, brush guard, and roof rack are what I want/need for a tow/occasional off roading vehicle. I am looking to replace my 98 Discovery 1 with something more tow and hook-up friendly - just can't see out the back of the Disco very well and can't open the rear gate for trailer hook-ups.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. You need to research your area and see what P38s are going for. As far as optioning go see it in person so you can see what it has. Remove the panel at the right tail light and see if it has LR trailer wiring module. Not sure what mean by cooling package. All p38s have a large radiator, oil cooler and tranny cooler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. You need to research your area and see what P38s are going for. As far as optioning go see it in person so you can see what it has. Remove the panel at the right tail light and see if it has LR trailer wiring module. Not sure what mean by cooling package. All p38s have a large radiator, oil cooler and tranny cooler.
OK, thanks for the reply. I didn't know that HD radiators were standard; my Jeep Grand Cherokee has a different radiator and trans cooler than the standard with its tow package so I though RRs might be the same. I did find a vin decoder that gave specifics and it does list this: "Towing Colour - Tow Pack No tow Ball NAS (Plain) [028BJ]" The seller says it has a "British style trailer plug" what ever that is, and that there is a plug at the front receiver for a "hitch mounted winch". I have a winch on a cradle for a 4" square receiver, and a front receiver would be handy for manouvering a trailer in tight quarters.

The p38 is three hours away, but with what I know now it sounds worth going to see and drive. There are not many RRs of this age advertised locally, but I have not checked any dealer's lots yet. I have an icarsoft i930 scanner for my Jag that also reads LR specific codes, so that would be a good thing to take along to see if there are any modules with set codes.

Any more suggestions on what to look for?

BTW, what's with the right justified text in the quick reply window? Have I been hacked by the Chinese?

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Since British tow equipment is illegal in the US it would not have ever been installed on an NAS Rover. Unless he is talking about the round trailer electrical plug.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, I asked about that. Haven't had a reply on the plug yet, but I suspect I'd need to add a brake controller since I don't see one in his photos of the dash. I'd post a photo or two, but I apparently am not authorized to do that yet.

EDIT: Oh OK, it is letting me edit and add attachments after logging in again. Oops, the attachment screen remained blank so I'll try later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts