Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds crazy, and I've been working on it by myself for a few days now, but I now must turn to those that will know more than I do.

I just bought a 2000 Vitesse and everything was going great for about a month, then I noticed the battery was slowly dying. Now when I crank it up and let the alternator charge the battery it'd get full charge and be ready to go. But over night I noticed that it would almost be dead by morning. So I decided to put the good ole battery charger on it and my air ride started smoking. I took it off quickly and checked everything to make sure it wasn't on fire and it was fine there. So I replaced the battery, exepcting my car to go up in smoke, but it didn't. Then the new battery drained out and I put the charger on it, and POOF more smoke from the air ride.

So when ever I hook my car up to the air ride, it smokes, and thats the only time.

I was hoping someone here could help.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
408 Posts
Not really a good idea to hook up the charger with the battery still connected to the vehicle! When you say smoke from the air ride, exactly where is the smoke coming from, compressor, driver pack, flux capacitor?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Unfortunately the picture just shows the internal components of the EAS box, try disconnecting the battery, then remove the compressor and valve body from the EAS box and visually inspect each component for obvious signs of overheating, more than likely you will find it is the driver pack which has failed. These and all of the parts you may need are available from Scotty, shoot him a PM! Also it sounds like you might benefit from following the electrical sticky at the top of this page.

·
Registered
931 Posts
thats the thing that smokes, all around it, maybe even below it instead of those that's pictured. I believe it's the capacitors by the air compressor.

http://i.imgur.com/YqQyd.jpg
There are no capacitors there.Those are solenoid valves and the long cyclinder is the air pump.You probably have a wire in the EAS box that is chaffing thru to gnd and drawing a heavy current and over heating,the smoke coming from the wire insulation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My guess is the smoke may have come from all the solenoid coils when there might have been too much current from the charger turning them into little coil heaters burning the insulation on them. When i first bought my 2000 RR the battery did the same thing to me. I would charge it in the evening, be dead in the morning. Tried to out think the whole thing and bought a high dollar marine, deep cell. Worked for about 3 weeks and then went dead. Talked to a RR mechanic and he told me i would have to buy a battery designed to go into this car. So bought one from LR and everything worked fine. I did like the "flux Capacitor" comment above, made me think for a moment!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts