RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebuilt engine 3 years ago and finally got a service engine soon light. Attempted multiple scanners and not getting any codes. Pulled the ecm and sent to module experts to reset and still no codes. Any ideas on what to test next? I need to get the truck passed smog in a month.

Gino

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
250 Posts
What year vehicle, motor size? That SES light could possibly just mean that it's time to change the oil.

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
He says it's a 2000 in the thread title. When you say you are not getting any codes, do you mean it won't communicate or it will but is not showing any fault codes? If you only have the SES (Service Engine Soon) light on, there won't be any codes as it goes on mileage or time since it was last reset. It's stored and controlled by the BeCM and not the engine ECU and is only enabled on NAS and Canadian spec vehicles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I get codes with the "Service Engine Soon" light.....I don't think the US market RR's got the "Engine" symbol warning lamp as I don't see it with the key on II?

Check the wiring to the OBD plug, that plastic panel that houses the plug pops out, perhaps there is some corrosion on your wires from a previously leaking heater core? There was a lot of coolant in that area when I fixed my heater core.

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
You should have, the SES light is separate and has a different function to the Check Engine light which may simply have the wording, Check Engine or may be a picture of an engine (European spec cars have the wording but the Export owners handbook shows a picture of the engine, third one along on the top row in the RH side of the panel). The Check Engine light illuminates to show that codes have been stored while the SES light goes purely on length of time or mileage since it was last reset.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can confirm SES and engine symbol are present on American P38's. Got a SES light and codes for a failing O2 sensor, haven't actually seen the engine symbol lit up as yet but it is there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You can turn the SES light off as a setting in the BeCM as I understand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts