RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New member here, but have been going through all the threads here and happy to jump in with such a helpful community. I have read a lot of fusebox related posts which helped me to replace my fusebox completely as it seems to be eating itself from the inside out. The new fusebox ran perfectly for about a week until this AM when I started it and got a Gearbox fault which leads me to believe there is some kind of grounding issue. I know that over the next week i will lose rl7, rl10, r712. Does anyone know what could be burning up my fusebox? Also if anyone on here is local in Los Angeles, I would love to know a reliable service mechanic.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
37 Posts
Johnathan,
Make sure you have the right fusebox, they have different part numbers. Other than that here on the forum homepage there is an Electrical Troubleshooting Sticky. If you print that up and go through it you will almost certainly find out what your problem, or problems are. Most of these electrical is over 20 years old now and could stand a good going through. In the first few months after I bought my P38 I replaced the battery cables, battery, and gave it a new fuse box with new relays. I have had almost no electrical problems in almost 4 years of daily driving since then. Except when the battery was weak and needed replacing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ranger Bob. I compared the part numbers and everything seems to match up there. There is a used Range Rover parts place out here and I read that the original relays were worth having / repairing if possible so I took the old one out. I'll definitely evaluate the battery and swap all the cables. Thanks for the help and I'll go through the sticky!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Gearbox fault, normally is related to low battery voltage, get a meter set up in line, leave for an hour, then see if you have any amp draw, if so pull the fuses one at a time till you find the circuit causing you a problem ..

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
+1 on low battery voltage, particularly if Gearbox Fault pops up immediately you start the engine. Voltage is dropping below the gearbox ECU threshold during cranking. New battery time.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
+2 on low batt voltage. If you run through the electrical sticky and post your results, we could give you a definitive yes or no on that as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all! I'll do a check on the battery and swap if need be. I'll post the results and I greatly appreciate all the advice. Very new to the p38 game and want to make the most of it. I very recently swapped my '80 f100 stepside for this 2000 range rover with 108,000 miles and would love to keep this thing around for as long as possible!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks all! I'll do a check on the battery and swap if need be. I'll post the results and I greatly appreciate all the advice. Very new to the p38 game and want to make the most of it. I very recently swapped my '80 f100 stepside for this 2000 range rover with 108,000 miles and would love to keep this thing around for as long as possible!
Report back when the new battery fixed the issue. We will be working on buddy's new project 2002 P38 next right after we finished installing the railings, bakflip cover and rack on the current Ram project. Gonna work on replacing the fusebox and a new set of headlights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts