RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone! New to this forum and hoping to get some help. I've had some recent overheating issues with my P38. When I purchased the vehicle I was able to drive it 70+ miles (highway) with no issues. It is mainly for driving around town and not really mean't to be a road trip vehicle. Everything seemed fine but last week after driving ~45-50 miles on the highway I noticed that the temp gauge when to red after getting off of the highway. I pulled over and to my surprise there was a lot coolant gushing from the bottom (behind the engine) and some also draining down the wheel wells on the drivers passenger side. Major loss of coolant.

My first thought was the coolant hoses - I checked them all and everything look fine, no leaks or wet areas. I filled it again with more coolant, bled and all (heater on high), and then drove it again on the highway. Everything seemed fine...until I got off. Coolant was gushing out again in the same fashion. So I proceeded to fill it yet again with coolant, got the engine to temp and cruised around town (not the highway) and the same leaking happened.

The leak is coming from behind the engine (not the 'artificial heart') dripping down from the bell-hosing and the shock beam on the right side of the car. I can't figure out where its leaking out from exactly but its from that area and not from any of the coolant hoses or coolant reservoir tank.

Could this bee a intake manifold gasket? I'd be able to see that from the engine compartment right? I provided some pictures below. Thanks in advance for any advice!
View attachment 269254 View attachment 269256 View attachment 269258

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
A few pointers for this forum to be the right place for you. We dont hold hands, we point you in the right direction to help you help yourself.
If you had bothered to read the guidelines and rules, you would have seen the part about your first few posts needing approval by one of us. So making multiple posts just makes more work for us.
Add your location.
With leaks, it's only YOU that can see it, not us.
Your foto attachments aren't working.

Quit risking blowing it up if you haven't already, and rent/buy/borrow a coolant pressure testing kit.Follow the instructions to find your leak. Takes about ten minutes and is risk free. If you can't be bothered/know how to use one, take it to a shop before you cook the motor.
To keep filling it and running it after overheating, just to overheat it again, isn't exactly the smart thing to do.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Do you have a workshop manual? If not, you need to download RAVE so you can see where coolant flows based on your model and year. If its not in the hoses, then it must be coming from a cooling jacket on the engine via a freeze plug or hole. You sure it isn't simply going through the overflow pipe? If the cooling system can't keep up, the temp climbs until the cap begins to allow steam to blow off. This goes through the overflow hose and comes out behind the passenger side front wheel. If so, its working as intended but something else is not. Like the radiator, water pump, thermostat, fan. So not narrowing down the possibilities much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts