1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Idles fine, won't rev, sputters, black smoke, and tries to die

G'day,

Been a while and yes... I have tried search numerous times over the past 4 days. Can't seem to find an answer so once again, I am turning to the RR brain trust to steer me in the correct direction.

Ok this is on my 2000 H&H with the 4.6 Bosch engine.

Vehicle starts just fine and idles perfectly, Put in gear and it is fine, go to pull away and it does not want to accelerate. If I push the pedal down more than a little the vehicle dies, kicks back in, engine shudders and sputters and black smoke comes out the exhaust. If the vehicle is in neutral, it does the same thing.

A year ago, and less than 3K miles on... Brand new plugs, Plug wires, MAF, Air filter, Fuel filter, O2 sensors. I had the check engine light so did the whole plug, wires, O2 sensors, check the coil packs etc. Changed out the MAF and all went away. Then I had a major air suspension fault and it was the beginning of winter here Nov, (AK) so parked it and just got it back on the road about a month ago.

There are no codes, no check engine light, and I can't find anything amiss.
Vehicle has 95K miles on it.

Read up on the crank sensor but from what I have read it should not idle fine if that were the culprit, TPS maybe? but it has been my experience that it will idle high, or not at all, but still generally run and rev up.

So as stated... turning to the brain trust here to steer me in the correct direction,

Thanks,

Mungrol

D

·
0 Posts
Re: 2000 Idles fine, won't rev, sputters, black smoke, and tries to die

This could still be the crank sensor, it depends on how/why it fails, so is worth checking/changing. The black smoke however indicates serious overfuelling, such as caused by a stuck/sticky injector - although that should show up (eventually) as a DTC of course, but it depends on how far you have driven it.... Also worth checking your (new) plugs to see if there are any clues on a single cylinder or if there is more general sooting happening on several pots ?

[A bad TPS would usually show bad idling, too, and the fault would not temporarily clear up as seems to have happened in your case.]

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Ok so check this out! Good info for all really!

So today after calling a few LR people and narrowing my problem down to Coils I do a little research. New coils.... $79 each is the most affordable I can find online, and then add $40 shipping!. Through the process, I find the a Single Overhead Cam 1995 Kia Sportage.... yes Kia!!! has the same coil as the RR. So go down to the local parts store and yes... the 1995 Kia Sportage has the same coil for a fraction of the price as my RR. So for $64 each (our RR need 2) I have new coils and the things plug right in and it seems to have fixed my problem. RR is running great!.

So maybe something to add as a stickey.... a 1995 SOHC Kia Sportage coil is a direct replacement for one of the Bosch 99-02 coils at a fraction of the cost of other sources.

Mungrol Out!!!

D

·
0 Posts

A bad coil explains the black smoke for sure......

And a great parts find, too, Mungrol, do you have the Kia Part Number ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

A bad coil explains the black smoke for sure......

And a great parts find, too, Mungrol, do you have the Kia Part Number ?
Well there are several depending on who is carrying it. The AC Delco number is E502C, The Import Direct Part number is 23-0354, Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Mungrol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts