RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Holland & Holland Purchase - Anything to lookout for???

All -
I'm considering purchasing a 2000 Holland & Holland Edition and am reaching out to the forum community for any advice/input/insight. I used to own a 99' 4.6 HSE and had several issues but not enough to stay away from the P38 altogether!

That said, this 2000 H&H has a coil spring conversion and the head gasket has already been replaced. The current owner told me that some water accumulates in the spare tire well from time to time but I've already read about the fix(es) for that issue. No other known issues.

Anything else I should be aware of? I'm going to inspect the vehicle tomorrow.

Also, any ideas on value of this? KBB value seems high in my opinion.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: 2000 Holland & Holland Purchase - Anything to lookout for???

Fyi, I listed one on here for you to compare. Check for folding tables and special luggage..

Where's a writeup for the rain leak in the trunk area? Thanks

·
Registered
898 Posts

I have seen that P38 on craigslist for a few weeks. Overall, looks pretty clean, but he is asking a lot of money. I found my extremely clean 2000 4.6 with 89k miles 2 years ago for only $7200. Check it out in person and see how clean it is. Find out who did the headgasket.

Don't worry about the water in the wheelwell. That is common.

If it is nice, I wouldn't pay over $7500 and it would have to be REALLY clean. Holland and Hollands are nice...

Good luck. If you get it, consider joining the NorCal Land Rover club. Great group of people and we go on trips and use the rovers for what they are built for.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the input spikemd. That was about the price I was thinking of offering. I have a feeling this guy is unrealistic in terms of price so we'll see what happens. The Holland & Holland versions definitely are nice!

If I do get this one, I'll definitely consider joining the club - not sure I knew about it during my last round of Rover ownership.

·
Registered
898 Posts

Unfortunately, many people think the 'special edition' rovers command a premium, but they don't. I saw a Rhino edition P38 when I was first looking at rovers and loved the zebra wood and textured leather. But they wanted a lot more money and it had many other typical P38 issues. I am very glad I was patient and looked a lot of trucks when I stumbled upon my clean, low-mileage, 4.6 SE with records. So far, she has been great and we have many adventures together (death valley x2, moab, coast, yosemite, etc)

The NorCal Rover club has only been around for 5 years. Great group of people with the same sickness. They put together some great trips.

·
Registered
234 Posts

I actually like the one off and special edition P38's and think they are worth more than the stock ones.

If you dont like the special additions ,trim and other things and are on a tight budget buy an ordinary one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I passed on that Rover. It was not the one in the pictures and was in considerably worse condition. Basically it was a waste of time.

Regardless, I appreciate your correspondence and will certainly look into the NorCal Rover club once I've made a purchase.

·
Registered
898 Posts

Yes, I saw it on craigslist yesterday, so figured you passed on it. Too bad, b/c the pics look great! That being said, there is a very nice one (2000 silver HSE, I think) with less than 100k miles that looks like it is in good condition. There are a few out there. Be picky and see lots of P38s. You will know when you have found the right one. I am soooo glad I passed on a few before I found mine. People still compliment on how clean mine looks, even after all the offroad trips and pinstriping from bushes. The bullbar and armor help hide all the scratches! But I did take a big hit last trip and busted up my rear bumper pretty good. Guess I need a metal one now! Anyway, there are some nice one out there. You will find one soon...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks SpikeMD. I'm not sure which Silver one you were referring to (was it in Mill Valley?). Anyhow, I'm on the hunt and I agree that there are a lot out there - a few worth buying! Once I get one, I'll chime in here again and talk to you about joining the Rover club.

·
Registered
898 Posts

hmm... I am not seeing it on craigslist anymore. I will keep my eyes open. Nice ones pop up every once in awhile.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

spikemd -

I ended up finding a 2001 Rover with 78,000 miles in great condition - for $5,250!!!

I'll look into the NorCal Rover club . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts