RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover L322 HSE
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 4.6 has a bad pull to both the left and right while driving. will be driving down the road and hit a bump or get in the grooves and it will pull pretty hard either left or right, then hit another bump or get off to the other side of the grooove and now we are pulling the other direction. It has the oem 18" wheels with Pirelli Scorpion tires in the OEM size 255/55/18

I swapped my 16" from the 96 over to see if that made it better, It improved but still had a slight pull as before.

I havent pulled the panhard bar to see if the bushings are worn yet, nor the radius arms.

My 96 has almost 208,000 miles while the 2000 has barely 100,000 and the 96 drives like a dream, an I have had that for 9 years now, while the 2000 for a little over 2

Any ideas where I shaould start on the pulling??

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I'd start by checking the bushes (panhard and radius), track rod ends, pitman arm and wheel bearings. And hope it's just bushes, as they're the easiest to replace. :wink:

·
Registered
442 Posts
scimitargtc said:
sounds like track rod ens
G'day sounds like track or draglink,get it checked out by a suspension exsperts,may only need short tierod ends QFS 000010 ,tires condition rotate front to back tire pressure ,get a wheel alighnment set toe in to Zero thats latest spec ,steering Dampner ANR2640 ,make sure EAS is operating correctly and check calibration heights at each wheel , check for faults.
Good Luck

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
44 Posts
I was having the very same issues, gets annoying and quite scary at times. After doing much searching through the forums I figured I would take some advice I found and I changed the steering damper to a Rancho one and the difference was amazing! I felt like I had control of my truck again. After this I also later on changed out the draglink and tie rod cause I noticed that the ball joints were pretty much shot. Now my steering is as smooth and responsive as I expected it should be from a Range Rover.

So I would say get underneath and check the ball joints of the draglink and the tie rod, give them a few good jerks and see if there is any play in them. If they don't seem good swap them out. If not give swapping out the steering damper a try. You could just go with the stock replacement but I went for the Rancho one because so many guys here have said how good they are.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Another member on here had a similar problem in the end he changed his track rod and all was fine the track rod had bent slightly and was causing all sorts of problems so have a look to see yours isnt bent

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
44 Posts
JeremyD said:
Another member on here had a similar problem in the end he changed his track rod and all was fine the track rod had bent slightly and was causing all sorts of problems so have a look to see yours isnt bent

Jeremy, I think the track rod is supposed to have a bend in it. (someone correct me if I'm wrong) The bend is where the rod moves around the front differential. The tie rod is the one that is straight and is the one the steering damper connects to. Or do you mean that it bent more than it should be?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
track rod ends
drag link ends
ball joints
bushings
alignment
steering stablizer
steering box adjustment

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I believe that the tie rod ends are spring loaded so it may not be so easy to find the loose joint. So be persistent. One of our joints made a banging sound when turning steering wheel while backing up. It had not affected steering while driving forward but it was loose. Good luck and check all of mags list.

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover L322 HSE
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys!! I guess this weekend its time to crawl under and have at it to see whats going on.

Will start with back half of the front end and work forward

Then start the parts list

1 - 11 of 11 Posts