RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks;

Ive got a range rover 2000 4.6 hse. I just bought it used less then a week ago and haven't had any problems until today. While i was driving it the wind shield wipers started working without me turning them on and shortly after my horn started blowing without me being able to shut it off. I had to park and disconnect the battery to get it to stop. It was then i noticed my fan and alternator were still turning after car was shut off, key removed. i reconnect the battery and the horn blows again, fan starts turning, wind shield wipers move, this is before key is in. what is going on? I can start it and drive it but the wipers, horn keep working on their own. i know its electrical but where do i start on this one? Has anyone had this happen to them?
Thanks
stevie lee

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,423 Posts
Hmmmm.......If the Alternator is spinning with the engine off, you have a poltergeist!
Otherwise.........Have you introduced any kind of moisture under the hood. Like in and around the fuse box? Remove the cover of the fuse box and have a good sniff. If you smell burnt anything, pull all the relays and look at the board where they are plugged in. If charring, or melting is present, you are in for a repair or replace. Note: be sure to get one with the same part number as they are different in earlier mods, and differ from Gems to Bosch engines.
The Borrego, I just bought had the electric fans stuck on. It was a fried fuse box. Found a perfect one at a wrecker and all problems went away.

Also, it would not hurt to pull out the passenger seat and unplug and inspect all the connectors on the Becm. Moisture there will cause corrosion and all sorts of interesting problems. Look for greenish blue oxide on the plugs and pins.
Search is really good on the forum, and will give details on lots of these issues.
Oh, and in the meantime, if you need to drive it, pull out the relays for fans, horn, and wipers.
Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts