RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of nowhere there apparead this horrible and loud "scraping and knocking" sound from the front left door speaker (the large one only) when the sound system is on.

After fiddling around with the settings on the head unit I find that the sound is there as long as the head unit is on. No matter what I choose on volume, balance, fader, FM/AM, tape or CD. The infernal sound is unaffected very loud and annoying.

If this was a bad speaker or wiring should it not disappear when I turn the balance on the head unit all the way to the right? Does this mean that the problem is with a amp or the head unit itself?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
Stop listening to rap music!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No one with a sound technical input on this?

When thinking about this some more I come to the conclusion that this may be a fault in the amp/black box in the door as it is only the woofer element in the LF-door that has the problem, the tweeter and midrange are normal. Would this be a fair assumption?

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you've got time, pull front door cards off and swap the l & r woofers (ie big speakers) This will tell you if it's speaker or amp/headunit. If it's not speaker then swap the amps over to figure out if it's amp or headunit.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Could be water on the amp. May have dried up. I would pull the amp and make sure everything is dry and clean just to make sure. Wouldnt happen to been rainning or got a car wash would ya????

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like a sound theory as there has been a lot of rain lately and I left the car running with full heat on for about 20 minutes the day before to dry it out a little. No appearant leaks but maybe damp air got in there somehow.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
The rear of the large speakers at the base of the front doors, back straight into the door cavity. Any water that gets between the glass and the lower rubber seal, could fall directly onto the back of the speaker/speaker electrical connections. I'd check/dry, the rear of the speaker before pulling other stuff out. Were the prevailing winds driving rain onto the side of the car with the issue?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The DSP amp for the Harmon Kardon system can give these sorts of problems. I had similar problems and fixed them by changing the amp.

Its located behind the CD changer. Easy to change, but hard to find a good used one because they are becoming more sought after.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts