RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have 20% tint over the stock on the rear windows? I don't know what percent the stock is but would a 20% addition pretty much equate to 5%? Either way, can you comment on your night visibility? Is it really hard to see out or is it OK?

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have 20 percent tint over the stock tint on all the rear windows...I'm not sure if it is the same as 5 percent, I actually think that it's darker. Anyways, the visibility is not too bad at night and almost the same during the day. I can say that it is nearly impossible to see in from the outside both during the day and at night. Tint is a preference thing, so you be the judge.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Youngbro401.

I love the look but am not sure if my wife will complain too much when driving it. She is comfortable with the 20% on the front windows so I only see this being a challenge when looking to the blind spot at night in a lane change (which can be a big deal). I thought about 35% over the rear windows but wondered if it would be enough to black out the rear passengers during the day or if the difference in these two tints is even be negligible.

To make it more complicated, I have read conflicting opinions on the factory tint percentage. Many say it is 20% so a 20% tint on top of this would yield 4% whereas the 35% would yield 7% (if my math is correct). So would 35% do pretty much the same thing while possibly making it a little easier at night?

Finally, do any of you have 35% over the rear windows and want to share your opinion?

Lots of questions and thought going into this because I don't want to tint it and find that I made a bad decision and have to remove and retint the whole thing again. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
407 Posts
i did that too and it was at 3%. took it off next day. It was too dark. I have bad night vision so it was a no go fo sho. I tinted the windshield 35% as well.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am glad you chimed in 36dbldz! So you have 35% over your back windows now? Is that picture next to your name with 35% on the back?

I would love to do the windshield but tint it is illegal where I live and this would probably push most cops over the edge :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
yep. its illegal everywhere to have front tinted but its not as bad as you think its not super dark. with that big ass front window i also wanted some protection for my leather interior.

this is how it looked

It was too dark for me

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are always so responsive 36dbldz and I really appreciate it! I am going with 35% on the back windows when I have it done tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
luxury1 said:
You are always so responsive 36dbldz and I really appreciate it! I am going with 35% on the back windows when I have it done tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!!!
Just give me one of your other rides and we will be cool.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the input guys. I had it tinted yesterday with 20% over the rear window, 35% on the sides (except front) and 20% over the front.

The 20% rear looks great in the day because you can't see in but at night it is really dark. The 35% over the stock darkens it a little but you can still see in during the day. However, at night it is definitely easier to see out than the rear.

The funny thing about the Range Rover is that my front also looks like 35% because of the size of the window and light from the windshield but it is 20%.

Pictures below to show contrast.

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So my official opinion on this finished project:

If it were just me driving I would have gone 20% all around and 5% on the front but for those of you that have a driver that will mind the darkness (like a spouse), go for 35% over the stock and 20% up front as the difference is barely noticable to them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
36dbldz
is that windshield you have pictures tinted at 35%? or What is pictured?

I am looking at doing my windshield and I want it dark but not so dark it hinders my night time driving. I am not worried about if its legal or not I just want it dark but not too dark for night driving.

·
Registered
407 Posts
keeko785 said:
36dbldz
is that windshield you have pictures tinted at 35%? or What is pictured?

I am looking at doing my windshield and I want it dark but not so dark it hinders my night time driving. I am not worried about if its legal or not I just want it dark but not too dark for night driving.
yes it is 35% it not dark at all on the inside. its light enough that you hardly notice i. it wont bother at night as well. Ill take a pic in the morning on my way to work with the window open so you can see the difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts