RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I seem to have got a few little problems with my Range Rover sport now. 1 is that the steering wheel seems to be heavier than normal, not sure if this is because I don’t drive it that often once every week or 2. Is there a reason why this is abit heavy now.? Tyre pressure is fine looks like power steering fluid is fine.

2. this is abit of a pain as not sure if I have to buy a full new speedo cluster or if it can replace lights in the rear. The light that lights up my speed needle has went it flashed went out and not come back on since is there a wash to change just the bulb or are they soldered in? Hope not. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
417 Posts
Most important: since it is not in your signature please let everyone know year/mileage. Type of powerplant seems irrelevant for issues you're describing but it would be a useful if you'd add all that to your signature line.
1)It is seems that you're havinga similar heavy steering issue as I just did. Lower steering shaft has a U-joint that fails and causes steering wheel being hard to turn. It is about $170 part available from LRDirect - UK parts site and takes few hours to replace. To check, you can spray that U-Joint with WD40, if becomes normal - 100% it is lower shaft. The WD40 fix will last a week or two so you have to replace that part. In my case I let it go for too long and as per mechanics opinion, it ruined steering rack - too much free play L to R in steering. So do replace it.
2) you will likely need to remove the cluster to replace that light. I am not 100% certain but it is likely needs to be synched with the vehicle so you cant just throw another one in (please be sure to disconnect the battery if/when you go for it)
Even if the bulb or led is soldered in - it can be replaced, no big deal, I replace 180 pins CPUs as a course of my work :) so 2 leads bulbs or led is nothing. If you can get a used cluster cheap out of damaged vevicle that being parted out - good, use it for parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there sorry I should try update my signature then :)

it’s a 2011 Range Rover sport autobiography ultimate edition. Done 86000 miles.

thanks for the information if indeed this is the u-joint then can I see/get access to this if I go under the car.? And try and spray WD-40 to see if it helps any. And if I had to get hold of this part what would I type in to google to search?

you would happen to know of a video tutorial that I could follow to remove the cluster thanks

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
417 Posts
Hi. you can kinda see that u-joint from under the car, you can barely see it from under the hood. best access if you take driver side wheel off and there is a sort of triangle heat-shield held by 3 #10 nuts, it is not really visible from anywhere but at least you'd be spraying wd40 downwards. Oh and please do so when car is cold as there is an exhaust manifold, God forbid wd40 ignites...
As far as ordering, you can type "2011 Range Rover Sport steering driveshaft"
or you can go here:
LRDirect.com
Half shaft:
QMN500240 or QMN500250 one of these if LHD another RHD, I am not sure which one is which.
QYG500110 - upper bolt
QYG500100 - lower bolt

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi. you can kinda see that u-joint from under the car, you can barely see it from under the hood. best access if you take driver side wheel off and there is a sort of triangle heat-shield held by 3 #10 nuts, it is not really visible from anywhere but at least you'd be spraying wd40 downwards. Oh and please do so when car is cold as there is an exhaust manifold, God forbid wd40 ignites...
As far as ordering, you can type "2011 Range Rover Sport steering driveshaft"
or you can go here:
LRDirect.com
Half shaft:
QMN500240 or QMN500250 one of these if LHD another RHD, I am not sure which one is which.
QYG500110 - upper bolt
QYG500100 - lower bolt
Thanks very much for that information mate that really helps I will have a look at this and see if spraying wd-40 on it helps and if it does then at least I know what that problem is.
You wouldn't happen to know anything regarding the bulb that’s out on my speed needle? If it’s a easy fix or new cluster? Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts