Range Rovers Forum banner

2 issues with my custom 2019 RRS ATB Dynamic - Need advice

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Tahoemac64 
#1 ·
So the truck has arrived at the dealership and there are 2 issues with it that I didn't want.

1. I ordered Firenze Red and was expecting red calipers as per the supercharged V8 having those as standard and it came with grey ones. My sales guy said it was changed due to the exterior color being red however online the configurator doesn't change it or give you a warning about it etc and that was what I was going based off. I was really looking forward to the red ones.

2. It has the CD/DVD player
:x. I didn't choose that option cause its a waste of useless space in the glove box and they said you have to do more then just not select it cause all the trucks come with it as standard for some reason.

What are my options here, if any?

Thanks for the advice!

#2 ·
Your dealer is full of it. A quick google search shows plenty of 2019 Firenze red vehicles just like yours with red Brembos.

CD player is an opt in option not opt out. It’s mandatory now I think only in 2020 with rear entertainment.

These kinds of mistakes happen all the time but your dealer lying to you to make it better is poor form. They know you waited a long time for the special order and will likely buy it anyway.

For me the CD player isn’t a huge deal but not having the red calipers is.

Your options I think:
-ask for the red calipers to be put on (dealer almost certainly will say no)
-ask for dealer to pay to have calipers painted red (will this be sufficient for you, and they probably will say no)
-ask the dealer for a discount to accept a vehicle with compromises
-walk away

I would be more mad about the dealer lying to me than the mistakes. For me I’d want the red calipers so if that means walking and ordering a 2020 that’s what I would do. For the price you should either have no compromises or be compensated correctly and not lied to.

#3 ·
ask for dealer to pay to have calipers painted red (will this be sufficient for you, and they probably will say no)

I would ask for them to be swapped to OEM red ones, not painted as they would use the lowest bidder with no care about the quality.
Still likely a no.

The ask for a discount or walk away may be the best path. Will allow you to order a 2020 if you desire, may need another dealer though.

#4 ·
Also, sorry to hear that happen to you. I saw people on here giving advice to ask for the order sheet in vista. I will say that checking that over does give confidence on what was ordered. I just checked mine to make sure the red ones were on the order.

I hope it works out for you.

#5 ·
Yes for sure if you walk and order another I would go to another dealer. This one is giving you the run around with their “explanations” which make no sense.

#7 ·
It sounds like a salesman. I personally will not stand for someone blatantly lying to me I can better accept them saying I messed up rather than have them take me for a fool, all trust is out of the window at that point.

Color of the vehicle does not affect the caliper choice, I have the firenze red with read calipers. I love the way they pop especially with Black rims. I choose these not only for the color but because they are completely powder coated not like the grey ones which have a black painted cover on them, this cover over time will corrode and begin to look horrible. much easier to seal a complete evenly painted caliper with rim sealant than one like the grey.

Dont sweat the cd/dvd yes, it takes up some room but there isn't really that much room in there to begin with. Besides you can always remove it if you choose to. If you have cd's you can rip them onto the internal hard drive so you do not have to carry the cd's.

What you should do is speak to the general manager ask to see the order sheet and compare it to the one you have when you ordered it. Let him know the response that you received when you spoke with your salesman, he will know that it is not true. He will likely want to speak with the ordering manager about what happened.

Insist that they make this right by ordering the correct calipers and have them installed at there expense. They will do this. If they do not do this for you you will have to go over his/her head.

Remember you are the customer and you get what you ordered and should not settle for anything less.

They of course do have the option of offering you either a discount or perhaps free service for the future if you are willing to settle for what was delivered.

Just be polite, you should show that you are upset and very disappointed but not angry. Try to let them know that you would like to give them the opportunity to keep your business and really wanted your relationship to be a good one but this was not a good start. Doing so in this manner will usually get you further that just blowing your top and threatening to take your business somewhere else. remember they do sell all there vehicles, if not to you someone else will buy it.

#9 ·
Some good advice above, minus the part about offering to let them spray paint the calipers. I'm sorry, maybe I'm just crazy OCD, but I personally would not want someone just painting my calipers and re-installing. I honestly don't know that much about the painting process, but powder coated or not, just something about a guy in a shop somewhere painting the calipers on my $100k car doesn't sit right with me. Tell the dealership to order them from the factory and have them installed by a JLR service tech. They can then put the gray ones in their inventory, and use at some other time. Because part two of this, is we all know you don't want to walk away from this deal, I mean, you're sitting there looking at YOUR otherwise perfect car, ordered the way YOU wanted it!
Good luck, and keep us posted how it goes.

#10 ·
absolutely get to dealership to swap in the proper red calipers. as far as the cd/dvd player remove it for the added space. if you don't have Sirius/XM you can use that feed line for a portable unit for live traffic updates, or listening sports broadcasts.

#13 ·
Usually when you special order you will get a build sheet that show everything that is on the vehicle. This Build sheet is created on their Vista ordering system when the order is submitted. Those things that are not applicable to your model will show Delete before the item. You can compare that to the order form or the printout of the online configured order showing the things that you wanted. sometimes your salesperson will do it for you online while you are there and it is possible that it is at this point he selected grey instead of red without you knowing it or the ordering manager just made a mistake.

Either way compare it to your pink order form that you sign, this is where any options other than standard are written down. If it is not written down on this form than you did not want it. Red Calipers just like the black roof are standard, you would have to opt out and reselect a different option.

Just go in and tell him you never got the BUILD sheet and you would like a copy for your records.

Good luck! Keep us informed.

#14 ·
A personal heads up on Red Brembo calipers: they look awful unless you’re super diligent cleaning them at least weekly...or of course swapping to low-dust pads like Powerstop Z36 compound.

If you do really want red calipers, DO NOT allow these to be repainted or powder coated. That involves FULL disassembly of caliper, chemical stripping of grey paint, media blasting and extremely careful and high quality powder coating which honestly no powdercoater is qualified to do. Brembo does their own in-house powdercoating and has precision formed and fitting masking plugs and procedures for finishing the piston bores and seal areas after coating. The Brembo coating is also very specially in that it’s a ceramic compound designed to dissipate heat. If you require red Brembo’s, it will require new calipers.

Dealer should be able to swap calipers if JLR truly made the mistake, as opposed to dealer order being incorrect. Just be certain if you hold firm to red Brembo’s they fit new factory sourced units.

As for cd/dvd player. As long as it’s no difference in cost, why can Dealer not unplug and remove unit? Seems like a no-brainer or am I missing something

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.