RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I can't work out how to remove the rear window section on my '76 2 door. So far I have:

• Removed C-Pillar trim
  • Removed rear head lining
  • Removed the front of the rear window (the sliding window)
  • Removed the 5 x nuts holding in the lower rear window channel
But I can't work out how to remove the rear fixed window. :(

Any ideas?

PS - I can't remove the interior rear vision mirror either. (I have removed the sun shades & fixtures), but can't budge the mirror.
PPS - I have RAVE and a Haynes manual but they aren't any help.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I can't work out how to remove the rear window section on my '76 2 door. So far I have:

• Removed C-Pillar trim
  • Removed rear head lining
  • Removed the front of the rear window (the sliding window)
  • Removed the 5 x nuts holding in the lower rear window channel
But I can't work out how to remove the rear fixed window. :(

Any ideas?

PS - I can't remove the interior rear vision mirror either. (I have removed the sun shades & fixtures), but can't budge the mirror.
PPS - I have RAVE and a Haynes manual but they aren't any help.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Hi. I'm unsure as I've never removed mine, but can i assume you've removed the sealing rubbers from around the frame? I'm looking at the parts catalogue and there are a number of seals around the rear windows, it also shows 6 nuts not 5. If you need the picture I can probably scan it and make it available for you.The rear view mirror should just be held in place with 2 screws.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. I'm unsure as I've never removed mine, but can i assume you've removed the sealing rubbers from around the frame? I'm looking at the parts catalogue and there are a number of seals around the rear windows, it also shows 6 nuts not 5. If you need the picture I can probably scan it and make it available for you.The rear view mirror should just be held in place with 2 screws.
Hi Rabbitwabbit,

If you could scan in the applicable page of the parts catalogue, that would be great. I do have a newer workshop manual but unfortunately it's too new (I also have a '90, and have just been offered a 92 with a blown engine).

I will have another look this weekend, and another look at the mirror.

I've found various modifications to this vehicle by the previous owner, and perhaps the mirror is one of them - there are no screws visible. :(

Some of the modifications that I have discovered:
  • Pin strips down the side of the vehicle - since removed
  • Bump or protective strips down the side of the vehicle
  • Painted letters - no the original clip in ones.
  • I think that the bonnet has been replaced because I sanded back the tailgate and found the holes for the letters, but when I sanded the bonnet - there are no holes for the letters.
  • Electric front windows - which believe it or not, I am removing and putting back to standard
  • Twin sill tanks - that have to be filled by pulling up the carpet, and filling inside the vehicle.. To remove the seats for refurbishment I will have to remove these first and I am not sure if I should put them back.. I haven't traced the system yet - there must be some pumps and wiring in there somewhere..
  • Front "bull bar" - since removed
  • It has had a CB at some point
  • It has had driving lights on the front bumper at some point
  • There is wiring for an electric parking brake controller - oh my, let's not talk about the butchered wiring
  • A horrible roof rack - removed and sent to the tip
  • Window tinting that has turned purple - I've removed it from the front sliding windows, but not the rear ones yet because I can't get them out..
I'm sure there are other things that I will find!

Cheers,
Grey Ghost

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - Details of the rear windows attached. Hope this helps. Sounds like the sins of the previous owners are not helping you! I have been lucky so far. I picked up a very standard 1974 which has had the sills and floor replaced with genuine parts. I've removed some of the odd bits that previous owners have added, but luckily they haven't butchered the vehicle. I'm putting it back to as near standard as possible and it's currently undergoing a full respray which will hopefully tie the whole vehicle together nicely.My 'go to' refrence manual is my 1974 Range Rover Parts Catalogue (part number RTC9018) which is absolutely superb. It details every piece of the car in the exploded parts diagrams as per the attached diagram and i probably couldn't do without it!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts