RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

It's been a long time since i got here. I've been busy with my studies the last couple of months.

Anyways I'd like to know whether is it possible to convert out troublesome Dual Mass Flywheel to a Single Mass Flywheel.
While i was looking on eBay i found this listing. It says it's a conversion kit.
If it is really true then i'll jump on it as i need to replace my DMF to stop the bloody limpy tick-over (for me it's more like a violent jerk).

Thanks fellas.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I don't have the answer for you, but Welcome Back!

Scotty

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scotty,

The listing seems to contain a TD5 flywheel with clutch. Has anyone tried to fit a TD5 clutch/flywheel to a P38?

·
Registered
448 Posts
is the tick over lumpy all the time or when it has been running? dos it sound like a bag of spanners? mine was like that was told it was fly wheel found the problem was the bottom pulley on the crank it has a built in shock absorber that is what had gone on mine. when I replaced it, it runs like a dream now
Tony

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well,

I don't have the jerk/tickover all the time. It takes about 10-15mins of driving to get it going.
But the issue is easily covered by giving a little throttle and letting go. But after driving for some time,
say over an hours time and in heavy traffic, this method wouldn't cure it, and the jerk gets really violent
to a point that i feel that the engine might fall off the mounts. The whole transmission+steering+engine
vibrates so violently.
The biggest issue when this happens is that i cannot steer the vehicle. When i try to steer, the wheel shakes
from side to side to the rhythm of the vibration. Then i have to give some gas to overcome this issue.

Anyways i think my flywheel was gone cos the last time i took down the transmission to replace the clutch,
the workshop manager showed the play of the flywheel. And it's almost the same amount play seen the youtube videos
that shows shot and good DMF's.

·
Registered
448 Posts
sound just like mine was I replaced most of the bits on the front found the bottom pulley when it shook that much the fan flew to bits went through the two rad's. when the rad's were out I was checking all the front pulleys that was when I found the bottom pulley was history
Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts