RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone has an idea wh where to start looking with this problem..its on a 1996 2.5 dt its driving fine apart from a sudden cut out.
When this happens the injector light and what i think is the abs light s come on for a split second(only caught a glimpse of abs so not 100% certain).
Then an instant later the engine is running fine again and the light go out just as fast.
Its done it once on each of the last two days at diffrent speeds 30 and 50mph, and shown no major problems prior to this, odds on its electrical and would like to nip the problem in the bud before it gets worse.
Appreciate any ideas
Ta
Coddie

·
Registered
217 Posts
That one is easy `)

Change your electronic (needle) injector, the one with the wire and plug on the 4 cylinder.

Regards,
Sérgio

·
Registered
11 Posts
i'd be inclined to get it hooked up to a fault mate or similar before spending out on a new injector, if that is the fault it wil show "needle lift sensor" fault.

Not to disagree with SERSAN but my dse has got a dodgy king injector but ot doesnt cause the engine to cut out, just gives a slight stutter at very small throttle openings but its been like it for over a year and only occasionally the little orange injector light comes up.

If its the ABS light flicking on aswell i'd be looking for a loose/poor ground somewhere as as far as i can see a loss of the needle lift sensor will have no bearing on the ABS

·
Registered
11 Posts
The other thing i forgot to say is try running it round with the lead to the king injector unplugged, it will still run ok (maybe a little down on power) as the EDC uses a default value and will just throw the fault light up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well had the thing checked for fault codes and there aren't any at all......the chap with the verrrrrry expensive piece of kit reckons it may be because it happens so fast, apparantly I will have to wait see if the fault lasts longer and logs a code..lets hope it don't get that far.
trying the injector cleaner option in the meanwhile and i'll check for loose connections when it stops peeing it down....ho hum. :think:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,
I'm not talking just for talk, I had this in my DSE, the RR starts to choked up on the highway and sometimes just cut off at idle in traffic.. when this happened I just turn the key again and RR just start again no problem... When we go try to search for error the RR don´t have any, i just let be like that for 3 months waiting for an error until it became almost undrivable so I just bought the electronic injector and problem solved. (I say again: even without any indication on testbook)

Regards,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure no one thinks your talking for the sake of it Sersan, and apart from the cutting off while idling it does sound like a similar problem. getting as many points of view as you can is never a bad thing.
at the moment its behaving itself...but I'm getting prices on the injector. Anyone recommend a supplier in the UK?
Thanks All

·
Registered
217 Posts
"getting as many points of view as you can is never a bad thing."

Sorry about my english, of course. :thumb:
I only want to advice that sometimes the BECM don´t keep any error even if something is really wrong.

Regards,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
english is a strange language anyway and yours is good, your point is noted sir, thank you. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2.5dt. It doesn't cut out as such but the revs drop away as if it's going to stall; usually changing from first to second when the vehicle is cold. I can almost predict when it's going to do it.

It seems to be worse in cold weather, say early in the morning and usually once its done it once, it won't do it again. It's such a minor irritation though i've left it for the time being. I've seen a few articles in relation to this and it hasnt been the 4th injector on those occasions.

Apparently the problem seems to be in the pump itself. I can't remember the part in the pump exactly but I think it's the "fuel actuator" or similar. From what I could work out, when the revs drop off the actuator in the pump is worn and has a job delivering the minute amounts of fuel and causes the engine to die.

The light you are seeing is not the ABS light (unless you have a VERY random fault!) but is the "engine diagonostic" warning light. Looks like an injector with the spray pattern.

However, I would love to find out if it is the fourth injector causing it as it's loads cheaper than changing the pump!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I may be wrong and the P38 works differently to every car I've worked on but if the Engine management light (orange injector) lights up then it has to store a fault because the Bosch EDC ECU puts the light up to show a fault is present but will go back out if the fault clears, it will however store it in its memory.

Do you know what "verry expensive piece of kit" it was hooked up to as most modern fault code readers dont seem to talk nicely with the P38, even the LRs own testbook can be problematic and that was designed for the crazy system that LR put into the P38 :oops:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Think the kit may have been one of the t4 units, the guy who it belonged to told me he'd paid £10,000 for it, its capable of dealing with all the vehicles in Land Rovers stable.
Seems the mystery deepens on this fault cos there were no fault codes, but it was definitely the engine (injector) light that came on and an amber light on the left hand side of panel so that has to be the ABS, wierd huh.
Will post any updates.
All the Best

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
£10k points towards Autologic. T4 Pro costs more like half that, and it tends to be be pretty reliable actually.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
976 Posts
Hi.

Check the wire to 'fuel cut off' switch on the injection pump. May be it's loose or damaged wire shorting intermittently.

regds

kapila

1 - 15 of 15 Posts