RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anybody give me some help when i tow the caravan the temp goes up when you are going up a big hill when you get to the top it goes back to the middle agian has anybody had this before . i have flushed the system and fitted a new stat when you do not have the caravan on it never goes above half way thanks any help would be good

·
Registered
56 Posts
How long is a piece of string?? I can comment that i have been seriously dismayed at the towing abilities of my 2.5 DSE to the extent that I actualy now only use my Heep Cherrytree to tow anything.

So maybe yours is 'Ok' if you know what I mean. :(

Gordon

·
Registered
448 Posts
check the Viscous Coupling on the fan have just fitted a new fan as I had the same problem when I had trailer/caravan on it was over heating new fan sorted it £70 from island4X4
Gordon is yours chiped have no problem with mine even with 2.5 ton on the trailer
Tony

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Check for coolant loss as well. The heads warp on these when they get power boxed.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,354 Posts
I have a similiar problem with my DSE. It overheats when towing up a steep incline - towing is a totally different ball game.
I have just come back from towing a heavy caravan in France with an all up weight of maybe 5 tonnes inc equipment and the car. French motorways are frequently very steep unlike the UK.

This is when I have been literally flat out at 4000 rpm with my foot hard down and doing only 50 to 55 mph.

I can tell you what happens. The engine starts to over heat and the gauge rises out of the normal range until just before the red which is when the auxilliary fans cut in. The fans then usually drop the temperature down very quickly. It is possible with my car to come off the throttle a bit to control the temperature.

If you ignore it and carry on with your foot hard down the red warning light will come on.

One thing that just recently happened to my car is due to traffic I couldn't immediately come off the throttle. The temperature rose and rose, the warning light came on followed a short time later by the engine literally dying. The engine output dropped to less than 50 %. Within minutes it quickly cooled down and returned to normal. I am wondering whether this is written into the chip software to prevent engine damage (chipped engine).

I have been meaning to flush out the radiator and change the thermostat but it is like job no. 25 on the list.

Dave
:(

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
When I used the 2.5 DT manual for towing the cartrailer with the Defender, on steep or long inclines the temperatures would also rise a bit, typically from halfway to 3/4 in the normal range. Then the viscofan would become noticeably louder and temperature would drop again.
The viscofan had been changed because the old one was lockedup all of the time.
Never was to impressed with the towing performance, but the old girl never let me down either. :)
So as long as the temperature isn't rising up to (or even into) the red, I wouldn't worry.

Dave, continuing driving with the overheat warning on, for whatever reason, seems like a bad idea! I hope your engine hasn't suffered from it. Chipped engine are usually more prone to overheating, I wouldn't want to rely on some chip cutting power in time to prevent damage.

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Filip,

I don't intentionally drive beyond the red light coming on.

It was just on the one occasion recently while I was in the middle lane of a busy motorway when it overshot for about a minute or so. While I was manoevering and expecting the auxilliary fans to pull the temperature down the engine suddenly lost power. Soon as the warning light went out it was back to full power immediately.

I was just making an observation that the power reduction was sudden and not gradual - just like throwing a switch that made me think it must be written into the programing either of the original Bosch ECU or the upgraded chip - rather like a failsafe device. You are right I wouldn't rely on it to prevent damage.

The other point I was making was that the auxilliary fans switch in first just as the gauge gets near to the start of the red. The warning light comes on only when the temperature is well into the red. In other words they are two separate switches.

My engine is fine by the way.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Hi Dave,

Didn't mean to come on so strong, sorry. ;)

Just some bad experience with a previous GF who drove my Range to work and commented 'the little red light had come on but I still made it to the parking lot'. :( It was on a V8, and luckily it to survived (and is now being driven by my current GF, some cars just don't get a break. :mrgreen: ).
And it's pretty common around here for most driving company cars to ignore all kinds of lights, it starts with the service indicator, but moves on to brakes, overheating and oil pressure warnings... :roll:

As for the red light and the aux fans: I'm not sure when or if I ever had the aux fans kick in, but the red light (on the 4.0 V8) comes on about the same time the needle goes into the red.

Perhaps we should look into the suspected failsafe in the diesel. I know the TD5 has it (and it's not always reliable, but at least cutting in too soon rather then too late), so it might well be a feature on the DSE/DT as well.

Greetz,

Filip

dave3d said:
Filip,

I don't intentionally drive beyond the red light coming on.

It was just on the one occasion recently while I was in the middle lane of a busy motorway when it overshot for about a minute or so. While I was manoevering and expecting the auxilliary fans to pull the temperature down the engine suddenly lost power. Soon as the warning light went out it was back to full power immediately.

I was just making an observation that the power reduction was sudden and not gradual - just like throwing a switch that made me think it must be written into the programing either of the original Bosch ECU or the upgraded chip - rather like a failsafe device. You are right I wouldn't rely on it to prevent damage.

The other point I was making was that the auxilliary fans switch in first just as the gauge gets near to the start of the red. The warning light comes on only when the temperature is well into the red. In other words they are two separate switches.

My engine is fine by the way.

Dave

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Hi Filip,

No offence taken mate.
You need to be careful with overheated GF's though.

Dave

:lol:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sometimes faulty belt tensioner causes a slipping belt on water pump/viscous fan.
It can be only slipping on hard acceleration and when viscous fan kick's in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts