RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya, i've had a look around these forums and i couldn't find anything specific to my car, so i decided to make a post.

i have a W reg 2.5DSE, or so i believe it is, it's been de-badged and the previous owner new nothing about it other than "it's red" in all honesty.... i know it has a 6 Cylinder BMW Engine which i believe is the DSE, correct me if i'm wrong.

in Any case, i'm trying to get the cruise control working.
i turn the dashboard switch on (the light comes on) i then press the Set button and nothing happens, i get no error message or anything, it just doesn't work. i looking at the page with regards to cracked vacuum tubes, but the part pictured isn't present in my engine bay, i've been unable to find anything looking like that at all really.
So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Greetings Redeem, the dash switch only enables the cruise control, you have to set the speed you want with the steering wheel set switch when you reach the desired road speed, it's in Rave or your owner/driver's manual.
cheers John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i do that much, reach the speed, turn it on and hit the Set+ button (the writing on the buttons worn but there's only two and i've tried both so it's fine) then when i release the throttle nothing happens. doens't seem to wanna know really..

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
933 Posts
Tim (Scotland) said:
What speed are you experimenting with?
It only works over 40 or 45mph.
I think it's 25mph isn't it, can't remember without looking, im pretty sure you can set it that low though.

I know this might sound stupid but you aren't touching the brake or pressing the clutch (manual only) pedal while pressing SET are you??

You won't find the bits in the engine bay as shown on the main site due to the fact its all done electronically with the diesel model's.

If it still doesn't work then maybe your SET an RES buttons are broken. Do you have the radio buttons on the wheel, do they work?

-Will :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't have the radio buttons and i've tried at all sorts of speed, 30 50 70 80 etc.
it's an auto anyway so i'm nowhere the clutch :p
and i don't have any other buttons on the wheel, any clue how i would check them sort of replacing and seeing how it goes?

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi i can set mine at 30 mph had a problem once after i had the steering cowling off and disturbed the white plug that sits underneath .make sure it,s making a proper connection thats assuming you might of disturbed it .

·
Registered
933 Posts
When you turn the wheel can you hear any funny sounds at all?? Just wondering whether you might have a faulty rotary coupler. Have you got any airbag faults?? Depending on how badly you want the CC working your next step will probably be to remove the airbag and actually take a look at the buttons up close and check to see whether any previous owner has emptied a cup of coffee/can of coke in there.

·
Registered
640 Posts
If you look in the Electrical Troubleshooting Manuals of Rave Under Circuits. Section B5 there is a full series of Tests you can carry out to check all the Various Components etc. Petrol and Diesel Variants without having to Remove Anything first. All you need is a Multi Meter, a couple of fuses and a few pieces of wire.

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wills said:
When you turn the wheel can you hear any funny sounds at all?? Just wondering whether you might have a faulty rotary coupler. Have you got any airbag faults?? Depending on how badly you want the CC working your next step will probably be to remove the airbag and actually take a look at the buttons up close and check to see whether any previous owner has emptied a cup of coffee/can of coke in there.

can't reallly hear any funny sounds but yes i do have a generic Airbag fault come up, which i'm asuming is the sensor since the ABS and Traction both come up with faults and i've been told be a garrage they are fine, so i need to remove the stearing wheele then, can anyone tell me how to remove it? the only one i've tampered with in the past is a 15 year old bmw 3 series

·
Registered
640 Posts
You can Test the Switches Without Removing the Steering Wheel.

The other point is have you had the Fault Code's read for the Abs/
Traction Control, Airbag? as they might just be Old Faults that need to be Cleared.

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No i havn't had the fault codes red, i'm trying not to pay garages where possible with it really, otherwise it's going to end up costing more than it's worth.
sorry to be a bit dim, but that diagram is saying place a multimeter somwhere (fusebox or really perhaps?) with the possitive end on where it's pointing and the negative earthed then press the switch without the key in the ignition and check the reading to see if the switch works?

forgive me i'm very much a newbie

·
Registered
640 Posts
waveydavey said:
If you put your location then there may well be people around who can help, especially reading faults.
As the the Guy's said his Truck is "W reg." I think he's probably in the UK but as you say where would help.

If you remove the Trim panel under the steering wheel and look up to the R/H side of the column you will see the Converter mounted on a bracket. You will need to unplug it and if you look at the Plug you will see the relavent Terminals and Numbers you need to connect the Multimeter to, along with being able to check the wiring colours as illustrated inthe diagram.

If you do not have a Copy of Rave I would suggest you download a copy as this contains all the information you will need and Critical if you own a P38.

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thankyou very much, i think i've found the RAVE CD and i shall look at the converter when it's light out to see if that pulls up anything.
As for my location, 'tis Oxfordshire UK.
the car is mainly used as an airport run and to pull a trailer on ocasion, so i cruise control is kinda helpfull, it was brought under the belief it the cruise control was working <sigh>
in any case i'll give that a shot first thing in the morning. see what it pulls up.
Thanks for your help so far

·
Registered
933 Posts
he wont have the cruise ECU as he has a diesel P38.

I come to Oxford every Wednesday and could easily drop by and lend a hand if needed??

·
Registered
640 Posts
wills said:
he wont have the cruise ECU as he has a diesel P38
No he won't have the Cruise ECU or Inverter as used on a Petrol model. But he will have a Converter on the Diesel variant which is located in the same position as the ECU/Inverter on the Petrol Model, Which is why I posted the Test Procedure page from Rave for testing the Converter/Steering Wheel Switches on the Diesel model.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
This pic shows taken of where the instrument cluster normally is, shows the the Cruise Invertor and Cruise ECU on a petrol (RHD, if that makes any difference):

Both items are in bottom right, just to the right of the steering column. Inverter is RED cuboid. ECU is silver box to it's right (- in this case it has the letter "A" written on it in marker pen).
You dont have to take out the instrument cluster (- like this shot), to check/change them though - you can access from below.

Diesel models have a 'convertor' in the same location as the 'invertor' on petrol models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thankyou very much guys, sorry for the delay in response but i've been kept rather busy, i managed to determine it was most likely the switches playing me up, but before i had chance to find replacements, one of my injectors became faulty and it's been refusing to start, so i took it to a mechanic freind of mine who diagnosed it as to much money than was worth really, so it's now been sold in favour of a Hilux surf, Thankyou very much for your help anyway guys, it was truely nice of you all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts