RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on this forum running a diesel with LPG and if so what does it work like.
This is one option I am looking at, the others are a magic box or chip, just want it to pull a bit better on the hills.
Any info would be good thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have visually seen a gas injected diesel doing its stuff in the sand and it was impressive , ran like a petrol , was a real surprise to see how well it went . do some home work thou as its around 3 plus thousand dollars in aussie to do , but the results are their . better than an exhaust or chipping in my opinion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tinleytech.co.uk do the front end kit for £249 plus tax, add to this the tank and plumbing for about the same price it does not
break the bank.
From what the guy told me it is set and forget, he recons a 30 to 40L tank is best as this would mean filling both tank at the
same time.

·
Registered
471 Posts
as I said do your home work , the system I have seen run at 25% gas 75% diesel are also adjustable will run with or without gas .will give 20+ power increase also run cleaner and more economical. you don't need a tank that big (they take up a lot off space). DO YOUR HOMEWORK. I don't know your standards you have their but that price is questionable , is it a certified installation?

·
Super Moderator
1,922 Posts
It's a kit of parts, all fully certified. Compare the prices for LPG installations in the UK and in Oz and you'll find you are being ripped off. A standard AEB singlepoint controller in the UK costs just over £100 but the same unit, just with a different part number for the Australian market, costs about 5 times that.

A 30-40 litre tank is small, I've got an 80 litre toroidal in the spare wheel well of my (petrol) P38.

·
Registered
471 Posts
yes we are being ripped off in Oz . I don't but anything for my car hear even with postage its still about 50% off the price. that said if you can buy it for that price you will not be disappointed with the results . if all you want is a bit more pulling power it will put a smile on your face . let us know how you go , very interested in your results.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have seen a system fitted to a Disco but not a p38. However there is a polish member on here VoivoD who told me he has a system fitted to his p38
It is more commonly found on commercial vehicles.
The engine runs on diesel all the time and the LPG switches in and out and enriches the air inlet stream to the engine, I presume after the turbo.
I have heard of 20% power boost.
A simple chip change is the easiest way to boost power and mpg. A lot cheaper.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guy at tinley tech told me it is fitted pre turbo as it works on vacuum from the inlet, so when the flow through the intake increases so does the fuel & the gas so keeping the balance between the two.
The other benefit with LPG is the hugely reduced emissions, I think it is No2, but not sure.
Watched a thing on Youtube today about the taxis in Birmingham UK all being converted to reduce the pollution in the city,
partly funded by government.

·
Super Moderator
1,922 Posts
The guy at tinley tech told me it is fitted pre turbo as it works on vacuum from the inlet, so when the flow through the intake increases so does the fuel & the gas so keeping the balance between the two.
Works exactly the same as a single point on a petrol engne except on a petrol, only LPG is sucked in, Petrol injectors are switched off.

Watched a thing on Youtube today about the taxis in Birmingham UK all being converted to reduce the pollution in the city,
partly funded by government.
They are giving larger grants to petrol engined cars being converted at long last. Paris has started issuing windscreen stickers in different colours depending on how much pollution they create. On bad days, categories 4 and 5, older diesels, are completely banned. An older petrol engined car, such as a V8 P38 are category 3 but the same car running on LPG is category 1, only one grade worse than an all electric.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
mrfbodyworx wrote:

The guy at tinley tech told me it is fitted pre turbo
An explosive mixture under pressure going through a hot turbo?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought the intercooler was there to cool the air going into the engine, however it can be put either side of the turbo.
The p38 they tested it on seemed a little but better when fitted pre turbo.

·
Super Moderator
1,922 Posts
An explosive mixture under pressure going through a hot turbo?
As the LPG is only an addition to the diesel, the LPG/air mixture is way too weak to ignite. LPG needs to be very close to stoichiometric to ignite, too rich or too lean and it won't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts