RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after some 3 years of Range Rover less driving, I have acquired another vehicle.
One of the last(ish) P38 2.5 DHSE bought it for a reasonable amount of money.
It is a March 2001 model (will have to post some pictures at a later date).
Here comes the issue with the vehicle.
After my previous vehicle, a 1995 4.0 SE, this vehicle, I believe has a better and more robust security setup, which equates to more that can go wrong.
Just checked the vehicle last night and the battery was bone flat, not even enough to power the clock.
Whilst I have had the vehicle (just over a week), I have noticed that when unlocked and doing various jobs on it, the locking mechanism has been locking and unlocking from time to time at fairly frequent intervals. Sometimes as much as a couple of times a minute at worst, or at least once every 5 minutes.
I have checked the driver’s door micros witches and locking mechanism, this is fine, as whilst disconnected, the locking system was still playing up. Could it be linked to the front passenger door or the rear tailgate door?
Anyway, came to the vehicle tonight with a totally flat battery. Changed the battery for a ready charged up one.
Came to open the vehicle after fitting good battery and message centre came up with key code lockout.
Entered the key code to clear message and re-synchronise the key fob(s), all went to plan, or so I thought.
Came to start the vehicle, guess what, it won’t start. It seems as though the immobiliser has kicked in with the engine.
Key code entry is correct as I have the security card and also requested the security details from the local dealer. Lockset has not been changed, neither has the Becm.
Does it look as though it has lost its synchronisation between the Becm and engine ecu?
I take it if it has, it is a case of Rovacom, Auto logic, or Testbook to sort it out.
Regards,
Steven.

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi does it say engine disabled on message centre i get this at infrequent intervals all i do is hold down the unlock button on fob as i start it and it starts no problem .worth a try neil

·
Registered
820 Posts
"Engine immobolised Press key fob" is completely different from "Key code Lockout"

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well charged up battery.
After setting the windows and sunroof (to get shut of the annoying beeps), vehicle still wont start.
No key code lockout or engine immobilised appearing in the message centre.
Key fob opens and locks the vehicle, so at least that is synchronised.
Looks like some diagnostic stuff or a sync-mate is needed.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Does the engine crank ? If its cranking but not firing its probably lost its synch - needs testbook.If its not cranking then its more likely a failed relay/poor connection etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, forgot to mention it is cranking, so as allyv8 mentions, it has probably lost its sync.
Another minor but irritating issue.
The trip computer and over speed indicator items don't work. Just wondering if they have been disabled!
Will be on to BBS tomorrow for some diagnostic kit.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Think I'd just get it re-synched and get a new RF receiver,YWY500170. That is of course if you have reason to believe the car will generally be reliable......

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had similar issues on my old '95 P38. Locking and unlocking etc. had it checked out at the dealer with the testbook computer, nothing, then it immobolised itself I managed to get it unlocked but that was it had to get towed into the dealer. Tried all the re-syncing etc. didn't make a difference but did try all that first before having to shell out more later.

Ended up being a bad BECM, changed that out everything was fine no trouble again apart from changing some of the locks as they had been broken due to being locked and unlocked so quickly some minutes. The dealer even gave me a price on a new BECM for some reason which turned out being about 30% cheaper than the advertised price and being cheaper than anywhere else from what I remember, they have never done it since hence I never get any parts there but do check just to compare as I can pick them up from there rather than having anything shipped.

Not sure if this helps at all.

Aynsley

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No.
No news as yet. I am waiting for some equipment from Cyprus, which hopefully should be here later this week.
All probability, should just need re-syncing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorted. Just needed a re-sync with the hardware I have now acquired.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
223 Posts
vaz said:
Sorted. Just needed a re-sync with the hardware I have now acquired.
Thanks,

A BBS solution?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts