RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My head gasket has gone on my P38. I have been offered another GOOD engine from a P38 with the Aluminium manifold(mine is plastic). Apart from the mounting bolts on the head to manifold being in a different position(which I can re-Drill)
Is there any other difference?
It is just much easier and faster to fit the other engine and get going again.
Any info is greatly appreciated. Only bought it just before Christmas so obviously the previous owner knew there was a problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The new "old" engine with the alu manifold is running without an airmass sensor. So you have to use the engine haarness from the the engine with the plastic manifold!
And please check the numbers on the injection pumps. They should macth. Otherwise you have to take the injection pump from the plastic manifold engine too.

R

·
0 Posts
the later engines have the holes for the alu manifold in the head as well, further no difference as far as i know in the heads, but you need to use manifold etc from your engine.

if you bought an bare engine, the pump has been removed, and to be 100% sure the chain has not slipped you need to take the timing cover off.....BMW has in their wisdom decided it was wise to lock thiscover between the sump and the head...... the only right way to take the timing cover off (and replace it) would be to take the head off......

headgasket job is not that much work by the way, I do it in 5-6 hours labour without rushing. wise to get a toolset for the timing for the m51 engine (90 euro on ebay)

Always get the head worked otherwise you'll have a leaking gasket pretty soon again, a bmw mechanic advised me.

If you remove the injectors, invest in the right socket, one that has room for the return pipes, else you will bend them, bending them back will break them.... 3 injectors repaired cost more than the socket.

Land Rover's microcat does not show an item for the copper washers under the injectors, BMW's partscatalog doesn't either. Bosch does supply them.

·
Registered
373 Posts
am 99% sure if you use the other engine and injector pump,you will need to get the new injector pump coded to the engine ecu or it wont run.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
am 99% sure if you use the other engine and injector pump,you will need to get the new injector pump coded to the engine ecu or it wont run.
You can't re-code them (at least not with normal LR diagnostics) as there is no diagnostic connection to the pump. However I did a bit of research into the whole 'coding' of the pumps a year or so ago when I was looking into diagnostics and the likes, and apparently that whilst there are different 'coded' pumps - there are a range of numbers that work with the P38 ECU.

Also if one doesn't work, from what I gather, the top of the pump can be swapped over so it will run. I guess it could be considered recoding the pump I guess - though you are mechanically swapping bits.

I think I did a search on google for 'M51 FIP pump coding' or something like that and found a load of information on both Land Rover and BMW sites.

As far as the OP goes, it's probably quicker, and cheaper... in the long run to get the head gasket done. There are differences not only in the engine wiring loom between the older/newer diesel engine looms - but also in the body wiring loom, especially regarding the automatic gearbox... as me how I know... alright... I'll just tell :)

Has a DSE which the transmission was running in limp home mode permanently... and there was a connector left over a the back of the enigne bay... engine had been swapped from an older one to a newer one.. there was nowhere on the newer engine to plug this connector... which just so happened to be the connection between the engine ECU and auto box...

Going the opposite way from a newer engine to the older, you will have the reverse or the problem most likely.. a spare connector on the engine, and then the extra wiring in the body loom.

In theory it would be possible if you pulled the wiring loom off your engine and swapped it to the replacement - but by that point I would have thought it would have been cheaper/easier/quicker to replace the head gasket on the engine that's currently in the vehicle - rather than having to mess about with everything else aswell.

My 0.02 though... I run the V8 anyway, so don't have a clue how quick it would be to remove the DSE engine and then strip the loom, and swap it to the replacement.. just sounds like a PITA to me!

R

·
0 Posts
The second time (within 2 months and a week after placing it) I took the engine out of my DSE autoboxed, i did it with a friend, and we work very well together. 3,5 hours later the engine was stripped down to bare engine on a pallet....in a well equipped workshop, knowing exactly how to get it out and how to dismantle it.

I left the loom at the car and disconnected it from the engine, quiet easy in this case as it is a very linear loom from the ECU over the front along the left side of the engine.

But taking the engine out would mean disconnecting oilpipes, aircopipes, engine from gearbox, engineloom, etc etc it would cost you more labour and money to do that than replacing the head...

headgasketjob is pretty straight forward, just need the timingtools to do it the easy way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts