RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
I'm absolutely loving my first RRC (soft dash on LPG, previous car was Jag XJS). I plan next summer to take it around the beaches of south of France and maybe Spain. I recently went on a 3 day camping trip, I removed the rear seats and it was fine sleeping in the back there. Has anyone done any longer trips like this?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,077 Posts
What sort of advice are you after?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've camped in the back of mine (with the rear seats folded up) and found it a bit short. If you sleep with the tailgate down to get more leg room you will want a tarp of some kind. Also when the upper door is open, it channels water into the car.

Also different places have different laws which you might want to research. I got moved along camping in a van on the side of the road in northern California and a lot of places around where I live (particularly near beaches) have signs prohibiting camping.

Otherwise all you really need is a small butane cartridge stove, cooking and eating gear. mattress, sleeping bag and pillow and some sort of cooler and access to purchasing ice.

Finally, and this definitely applies to Range Rovers, I'd make sure I had some sort of premium roadside car or travel insurance in case (or when) the old girl breaks down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip about the upper tailgate and water running in, that makes sense. When I went camping I had the sunroof open a crack and all this did was let moisture in during the early hours, my duvet acted like a sponge! I just want some tips from people who have done this before and what they would have done differently etc. I plan on travelling light, maybe visit the laundrette once a week, I'm no hippie, but the idea of having no hotel check in/out times appeals to me. And I can always go stay at a campsite for showers etc. I also plan on investigating what the French equivalent to green Laning is. I've never even been g.laning in the uk before, I plan on that soon as well. I was amazed how big the back of the RRC was, it's about the same as my first studio flat from a few years back!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the look of the roof tents. My plan was to sleep in the back though. I removed the rear seats and it was fine. I had a couple of sun lounger cushions as a mattress and shoved my bag in the footwell and pillow on top of that. No sleeping bag, just duvet it was fine. Would anyone recommend an electric cool box that plugs in or just bags of ice in a normal cooler? Like I said, any help no matter how small will be a great help to me.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've never had an electric cooler box - they seem expensive for what they do. Most guys that fit them fit a second battery to run the cooler box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh right, a second battery seems a bit silly. And you live in NSW where it gets very hot so you should know I guess. I spent 5 yrs growing up there many years ago. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've camped in my car in the Cevenne - if you go deep enough the only people going by are rangers who might ask to see a permit, but most are cool. How's your French? They don't like it when English speakers don't even try to speak French FYI, even of its bad.

Not sure about the coastal areas. I'd imagine it would be more relaxed than here in California though.

I'd remove the rear bench and put a HD foam mat or air mattress - still got your air compressor?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Here are my thoughts on the electric fridges. If I could afford one and would use it frequently, I would buy one. With that said...We went on a cross country odyssey armed only with GOOD ICE CHESTS. Even when we went across the desert southwest, the ice would last two days in the cooler. We would get a new bag once a day and that did us very well.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
On the fridge - my mate just came back from a two month trip in remote areas. He borrowed his son's Prado with a fridge in it and swore by it. A matter of dollars I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts