RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a question or questions... I am about to buy either a used Range Rover 99 or 2000 or either a used Tahoe/Yukon. I had a 03 Disco2 a few years back and it was "ok". I did have some issues with it and other people I know did as well, and also have heard that they aren't very reliable. The vehicles I am looking at have between 95-140k miles. This will be a semi-daily driver (fairly short distances) and also used to tow my boat to the landing (6miles). I know Chevy/GMC have a pretty good chance of lasting 200-300k miles but how about the RR's? I really like the styling of the RR more but I need to be responsible (for once in my life) and get the best car for me now. This will have to last me 3-4yrs while I go back to school and need to keep expenses low.
Also, I have a 26ft Scout boat that weighs around 6000lbs w trailer/fuel/etc. WIll the RR pull it with no problems? The trailer does have brakes. Thanks in advance!!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
The search button could help you until folks get in from their weekend trail runs, garden shows, beach combing or where ever else Rangie Owners go on weekends. There are pleanty of topics on reliability to keep you busy until folks get in. Keep in mind that this is an international forum. Therefore, waiting less than an hour and a half to bump a topic is less than relistic.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
my 1998 has 189k on it now.
it has been reliable so far, but i do have a spare motor sitting in the shop too :wink:
to be honest, they will require more regular maintenance than a gmc/chevy will IMHO.
the reward for that extra tinkering is better ride quality, prestige, and being a little different than every other chevy owner. :thumb:
at the end of the day, you are buying a $70k suv for a bargain price,so you will get better interior, gadgets, and so on with the rover.
for towing, i have a off road jeep and a 2 axle car trailer with electric brakes. for a local run, i use the range rover. for out of state runs, i switch with a mate of mine. he has a 03 chevy dually with the duramax. he has never complained at having to drive the rangey around instead of his dually, if that tells you anything :clap:
i think it depends on how handy you are at wiring and general tinkering as to what will be better for your needs. range rovers are a passion/hobby, and not the most reliable vehicles on earth. if we all wanted 100% reliable trouble free tin boxes, we would not be driving rovers me thinks. :thumb:

martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
no problem mate.
please post up your location, or even better add it to your signature of avatar section.

martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
kmagnuss said:
Get the GM.

Get the LR when you finish school. Graduation day.
i kind of agree. if money is going to be tight for the foreseeable future, then maybe the rangey isnt the right rig for you right now mate. not saying that gm's dont have any issues, as i know they have plenty. but the parts prices can be easier, as well as finding folks to work on them if you cant do it yourself right now.

martin

·
Registered
687 Posts
in your situation the GMC is the better idea, if you need a reliable car and something that wont dig your pockets the Range rover is the Wrong way the go.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Hard to tell that RR owners love to give out info even though there is tons of it on this site. When you look at the "how to" repair sections that will give you an idea of what will go wrong and it seems like each of us if not all will experience many of the repairs shown. My van has had brakes, rotors and pads are due, 50k on a set of tires or more, a fuel pump [750 inc. tow] and its on its 3rd engine computer [4th may be coming due] Still has original exhaust , rad and hoses.I need to change the belt tensioner again. I can drive for months w/o checking oil or fluids except when intake manifold gasket had failed and it sucked water and air. On the rangie I don't have much history but she has done many miles in short order, sat in many dealer lots, had an accident at some point, and repairs still basically invisible. She just went thru an e test again and the readings were better than 20k miles ago. We love her, how she drives, look and feels. But she is fussy and always seems to have something to repair. You might prefer the larger 4.6 engine for pulling. We are basically on level ground so the 4.0 is ok and fuel use is about 1km better. The big deal would be a head gasket job. You had the same mill in the disco so you know the motor. Early 99's had a gems system, I belive, so check that the engine you are looking at is the bosch system. My friend just bought a 2000 denali to haul his 20' sailboat and run to the cottage, He got rid of a Volvo waqon. I think Kmagnuss has given the best advice, just get a rangie before you get old or they are eliminated by environmental concerns. :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
I love Rovers, but, if money is going to be tight go with a 97-99 GMC Suburban. Its about as simple and relible as it gets but its a powerful comfy truck. The second generation GMT400 (96'-99') GMC's are about as good as GM ever got. A Rover is alot funnier to own and will last as long as the Suburban but being as advance as they are regular service is more frequent. The Rover will pull 7,000lbs all day so your boat wont be a problem. I use to pull a 26ft Century with mine and it passes the 9,000lb mark. The GMC will pull the factory around it was made in but its lack of advance ABS and full time four will drive it wont feel as smooth and easy as the Rover. So its your call but the GM will give you a cheap to run truck fot a few years.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I would agree with getting the GMC first (Even though I don't particularly care for GM, the suburbans are nice. But, I have had bad experiences with other models).

I wanted a rover really badly, but knew I could not afford to run one full time (I am also going to college). So instead of selling my 04 hyundai, I bought my current rover with some extra money I had as a 2nd car. The rover was in great condition, ran well, and the price was very hard to beat, especially where I live. So I use the santa fe as my daily driver and the rover as the weekend/snow vehicle. So far the configuration has worked out beautifully. I never have to worry about the santa fe breaking down, the fuel economy is great etc. etc. The insurance some how worked out with me only paying 100 a month for both. Full coverage on the hyundai, liability only for the rover. The rover is my favorite, naturally, but it has issues that would cost a fortune if I didn't have the time to do the repairs myself. The santa fe gives me that time cause the rover is not needed every single day. I will admit that it is tough affording it all, but it is not impossible. If worse comes to worse, the rover will have to go, that is the backup (unfortunately :oops: ). So far things are looking good, both vehicles seem to make up for what the other lacks.

However, one thing is for sure. I would not have bought/kept my rover if it was not for this forum and others like it. The amount of information and support for these vehicles is amazing! Which, has enabled me to do the repairs myself, making it much more economical for me to own the rover.

Good luck on your purchase what ever you decide.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have 99 bosch 4.0se rover and I am afraid of taking it out of town. I have keep this up and in good repair but it just can't be trusted due to all the ELECTRICAL things that go wrong with these things. Its just overkill on the electrical. This my not be what you what to hear but I know I own one.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Of all the cars Ive owned. Out of 8 cars the two P38s are the only two cars that have never failed my. My Yukon failed, GC did, Discovery did, everyone but the P38s. Its the only vehicle I would trust my life too or my familys. It wont let you down even in the face of danger and disrepair.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Skip R said:
I have 99 bosch 4.0se rover and I am afraid of taking it out of town. I have keep this up and in good repair but it just can't be trusted due to all the ELECTRICAL things that go wrong with these things. Its just overkill on the electrical. This my not be what you what to hear but I know I own one.
wow, i must say that the rover has been our family rig for a while now, and i have zero issues with the wife n kids in it going anywhere.
i bought a faultmate, and besides regular maintenance, that is it. a pretty reliable car overall IMHO.

martin

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
The Rangie will exceed your expectations after driving a GM or pretty much anything else, but it will require you give it love and attention...
Go the GM for now, and come back to the Rangie when you want a relationship :D with your vehicle and have more time and money to spend on it. It is worth it.

Best wishes, Paul.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I am very impressed with how well mine has held up over the years. The owners it previously had were "nice" to it, but there were many areas that were neglected. After some servicing, it runs better than the 04 Hyundai. Haven't gotten to the point of trusting it to take me out of town, but that day is quickly coming. As previously mentioned, they are very quirky electrically. Today, mine almost did not start due to a dead battery :oops: (my fault for leaving it for a week). After it started, 30 seconds later the idle started going wacko and I couldn't figure it out. So I shut the rover down, restarted and the problem miraculously disappeared :think: .

·
Registered
687 Posts
Skip R said:
HAHA i feel the exactly same way with my 99 bosch iam scared s**Tless to take it anywhere past citylimits. Thats why i bought a Infiniti because i knew i could have a peace of mind when i leave on trips.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
Mirage said:
Skip R said:
HAHA i feel the exactly same way with my 99 bosch iam scared s**Tless to take it anywhere past citylimits. Thats why i bought a Infiniti because i knew i could have a peace of mind when i leave on trips.

I have to wonder on both accounts why bother having them then? If you feel that insecure in a vehicle, why own it? That's like having a super killer terrific comfy pair of favorite shoes that you are afraid to wear out of the house because you don't want them to come untied. Your rig is just as likely to fail outside the city limits as your shoes are to come untied inside the house. No matter the rig, no matter where you are it could fail. If you are unwilling to deal with failure I can't help but feel you should move on.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
Now the person next to me is comparing your garage queen Rangies to hot trophy wives. They are useless overpriced high maintenance show pieces unless you let them past the sidewalk. On both accoutns they need to be drivien more. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts