RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 range rover 4.0 that I'm trying hard to keep alive. I'm not a newbie, I've had it for about 12 years.I believe the transfer case has given up and needs replacing. Could anyone help out and tell me which other Land Rover transfer cases would be suitable for a replacement...or can mine simply be rebuilt for a reasonable price... I've found a few Discovery transfer cases for sale around $200..
Any information would be appreciated!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
760 Posts
Your box should be 44-62-003, I'd get the seller to give you the disco details, I think the disco used hp22 box, so should be the same,

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Thank God Rolledover chimed in, hopefully before the OP went and spend hard earned cash on a part he cant use.
Can't remember how many times Ive said the same thing.....If you dont KNOW something to be correct, keep quiet. It could, and has, cost folks money.
OP, you are stuck with a P38 transfer case, period.

Martin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info...
Called Atlantic British this morning and they said the same thing.... only TC that will work is a 1996-2002 Range Rover p38.....And the hunt begins.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,756 Posts
I am beginning to think no body reads the guidelines when they join here. With only 5 posts on this topic I've already had to remove 2 sales references. There is to be absolutely NO sales or wanted references in the tech forums. If you have goods to peddle please do so in the classifieds section where they belong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why would the front drive shaft be removed from a rover I'm looking at regarding the transfer case... should this be a red flag pointing to a bad T.C???

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Why would the front drive shaft be removed from a rover I'm looking at regarding the transfer case... should this be a red flag pointing to a bad T.C???
Bad viscous coupling possibly. That or it just broke or has bad wheel bearings. I'd pick another though to be safe

Martin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree about picking another one also...
But picking is slim around here, and the price on this one is less than $200. I just wasn't sure if the removal of the front drive shaft was a indicator that the transfer case was bad. A 100 pound paperweight isn't in the budget!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Parts are on the way.... will update post with anything interesting that happens!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts