RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the board and have never owned a Range Rover before. I am considering purchasing a 1999 Range Rover 4.0 SE found here http://tiny.cc/sL5Ya. Having never owned one I am concerned about the potential upkeep expense of an older Range Rover. Before I bought anything I would take it to a Range Rover shop to have it looked at but can anyone help me out? Are these cars really that problematic and expensive to fix as they get older? It looks like a great car but I just hear about poor reliability ratings and would love to know others opinion. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I wouldn't say it's especially expensive to own a RR....Just have to put money in just like any other old car.

However, if you plan to not service the car yourself and take it to a dealership for all upkeep, then it will be very expensive. If you are relatively handy, and can tackle most repairs yourself, then you'll find that there is a huge volume of info and support out there, as well as decent parts availability.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
general98 said:
Thanks - I would likely end up taking it to a dealer / service shop for most of the repairs.
Unless you have deep pockets, which I'm assuming you don't since you're looking at a 99' and not a 2009, and you can't wrench yourself, consider this your fair warning to stay away from these cars. But...if you have the aptitude and the willingness to get dirty and learn how to fix it yourself, then by all means knock yourself out. There are some really helpful people on here, and 95% of the problems are pretty easy to recognize...many having instructions for how to actually fix them.

Either way, good luck.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
I findings on the P38 owners so far as I repair plenty, some have the cash and some dont
The owners that do have the cash use the vehicle for its intended purpose while those who dont have the cash buy it cos
of the bling factor, seriously the wrong vehicle to own if its for the so called bling factor as most cant afford them.

If you want a 4x4 with good off raod capabilty then consider the Range Rover classic 1990s on are good serious off roaders
reliable and very capable.

The 4.0l is a bit gutless

I bought my P38 and knew what I was in for after carrying out extensive research into them, since owning one I have got
alot of customers through it, very rare I think to find a mechanic who owns a P38 and fixes them...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi, I have had a look at the car via the link you gave. I don't know how much these go for on your side of the pond but to me $69977 is way too high.
Looking at the pics it seems it has not been looked after by a main dealer, No wheel center caps, whasher bottle top missing, cabin air intake foam missing, etc.
Makes me wonder how this dealer can sleep at night offering the car for sale like this and makes me wonder what state the engine etc is in.... :think:

SID.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
148 Posts
Wow for a dealer detailed vehicle, that looks like poo. The engine in my 96 is in much better condition. Looks like they spent all the time cleaning and using tyre black on the tyres.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Can you live with the dent on the rear fender. The rest looks good in pictures. Tow hook shows no rust. Brake rotors mostly look good and may even be oem since they appear to have the outer ridge. The dusty engine compartment indicated to me when we bought ours that the engine wasn't burning oil, wish I could say the same for the leaks. Having said that the recent "e" TEST had better readings then the first test 2 years ago on the same plugs and wires. If all is good make an offer 1 or more below asking. Good luck and let us know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts