Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 22 inch rims with 285/40R22 tires. When I bought the 1999 HSE 4.6 P38 the air suspension had been replaced with coil springs.
I have added extra weight in back so my question is:
Can I put the heavy duty coil spring conversion kit without having other suspension issues? I spoke with someone at Atlantic British and after I told him the tire size he indicated he couldn't recommend anything as he said sway bar links and other suspension components, etc. will wear....

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,278 Posts
Just shoot it. Even AB dont want to sell you anything....
The poor thing has already been hacked, then those wheels and tires went on. I dont think I want to know what all the extra weight is in the back.....

Martin

·
RIP Our Friend
27,833 Posts
LMAO!

Your choice of coil springs is not going to impact other suspension items. However your choice in rims has crippled your ride, eliminated any cushioning for weight and no matter what you do your rear is going to sag when you load it up. With added weight on low profile tyres you are begging for any pot hole to take a chunk outta of tyres and/or a rim. If you are going to use your Range Rover to haul stuff at least fit it with some 18" rims. If you do any decent off roading consider 16". You can either have bling or capability. The two rarely mix well.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Maxman77.

Stay away from Heavy Duty rear coil springs because when you remove the rear load on your P38, shock absorber travel will be compromised and damaged.

Cheerio,

Vinniman.
'88 Hi-line
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The ability to adjust for payload or trailer tongue weight is a major feature of the OEM air suspension. That's why its been copied by many other manufacturers of luxury cars and SUV's. Not to mention the safety in not jacking your headlights up into oncoming traffic due to sagging metal springs under load. If you want to take inventory of what OEM EAS components were left behind to consider going back to air, you will find the forum helpful towards that end. You might have to take a few more jabs for the 22" rims but you should find the trade off worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.