RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Rover has been a reliable daily driver up until yesterday when it started running rough and a check engine light came on. I've tried 4 different obd2 scan tools (all different brands) and each scanner is showing I have no fault codes. Anyone out there know why I have a check engine light on but the scanners show I have no fault codes? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm stuck with daily riding my bike (makes grocery runs a pain in the ass!).

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,716 Posts
Stop by Biggs Automotive and get it read with real equipment. Often generic OBD scanners will only read the most basic codes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't trust driving the car with how it is running. I was able to pull codes months ago when I had a problem with the same scanner as one of the ones I tried. Any clue if I could have a blown fuse or something like that which could cause me to not be able to pull codes?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,716 Posts
Unless you are getting some sort of "fail to connect" error on your scanners this is not a fuse or scanning issue. If your scanners are scanning and showing no fault codes then they are simple/generic scanners that are not appropriate for your rig. As noted above generic scanners only are capable of reading the most basic of codes.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Head Gaskets Sorry.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
Bit quick to make that kind of diagnosis!

He doesn't say if it's a GEMS or Thor, but if it's a Thor then could be a handful of sensors that are faulty that are making it run like cr*p.

Yes, could be head gaskets, but he doesn't mention anything about overheating.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
It's a Callaway Marty, so has a supercharged lump based on a GEMS and notorious for eating head gaskets just because they can......

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
Ah, right... one of those special editions we never got in the UK!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
It's a Callaway Marty, so has a supercharged lump based on a GEMS and notorious for eating head gaskets just because they can......
GEMS right, supercharged wrong.
They just got the tolerances so tight, that if you sneeze the wrong direction, the whole thing is junk. Heads cant be surfaced, block cant be decked, and so on.
For a big name in tuning, they did a totally crap job on the Rover. Using spacers under the rocker assemblies, instead of the correct length pushrods, and so on.
Having driven one, you aren't missing anything by not having them in the UK.

Martin

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same vehicle.. the carbon fiber intake tube split and was allowing air to bypass the MAF.. take the tube off and inspect it carefully.. I used gorrilla glue to fill the crack and seal the tube.. they are not available anymore..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts