RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a 1999 Range Rover Callaway and just received a pre-purchase report from Car Chex for a vehicle I am considering buying. There were numerous issues and wanted to find out if someone could take a look at the report and give a ballpark estimate on some of the items that were cited in the report.

Some of items that were pointed out in the report are the following:
1-1" tear in front drivers seat
2- EAS system components were removed and would need the system looked and possibly changed back the original air suspension system.
4- Oil Leak
5-Long Term Rust on the frame
6- repaint Bonnet/hood
7- remove aftermarket chrome that was applied by owner
8-remove rear light protectors

I need a professional opinion if this vehicle need approx $3k or $10k or more work done. I don't expect an exact number from anyone since the vehicle is not in front of me or you - but any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
Heath G

·
Registered
890 Posts
A Callaway is a rare P38. Very cool because it is rare, but might be tough to find parts for the Callaway modifications. As far as the things you mentioned, none of them sound mechanical other than the oil leak, which could be anything. As far as the EAS, yes, you can retrofit but it depends on what components are still on the vehicle. If everything is removed, it will cost you a lot to replace the compressor, valve block, height sensors, air line, air springs, etc. In addition, you will have to refurbish every component of the system b/c obviously something was wrong with it in the first place. If you can't do the work yourself, then run away now. It will cost you $10k if you pay someone else to source the components and re-install the system. Everything else sounds cosmetic and is up to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking to buy a Callaway Range Rover - Niagra Gray

I am located in North Jersey and looking forward to hearing everyones ideas and feedback. I have had many Land Rovers over the years. I have been told that I came down with a bad cases of Rover-itis. The worse kind that hits every couple of years...
Some of the vehicles in my past have been
1-1992 Light Stone Edition Range Rover
2- 2000 Black Range Rover
3- 1999 Discovery Series II
4-1994 Beluga Defender -Special Edition.

I was restoring Land rover defenders when I am not in front of a computer. Upper management didn't like that the trucks had no airbags- but the kids and Lola, the Old English Sheepdog didn't mind. I am always looking to drive and restore/refresh something different. Something special. I had a 1994 Black Defender limited edition I restored to showroom condition and now I have my eyes on a 1999 Callaway Range Rover. I first set my eyes on one when my discovery Series II was in service.
I love the hunt for the parts and people I meet. If you know of anyone who is looking to part with their stock 1999 Callaway Range Rover with moderate/low mileage, please think of me.
I am also trying to keep a chart of all the 220 Callaways ever made, so everyone will know what number in the series that are still out there. I will be posting the chart to gather information- Last 6 digits of the Vin No., Color, Number in the series. Please email your info if you are one of the lucky 220 drivers so i can build this register.

Until there is a Callaway Rover in the garage, I will be salivating at all the Callaway posts.

A friend at the local dealership told me this, "Callaways are virtually extinct - haven't seen
one in years other than one or two occasionally in for service. " I am looking forward to rolling into the dealership with a Niagra Gray one.

Cheers,
Heath

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your honesty. I just got of the phone from the vehicle inspector who reccomended the same thing. The inspector was concerned that the vehicle drove so poorly and that the engine also was not properly maintained and showed evidence of poor maintenance and tremendous rust on the frame.
The search will continue.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
You lost me at rust. Screw that!

Martin

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts
Yeah, I'd pass as well. I'd expect a little bit of undercarriage rust, as you are on the East Coast. But I'd look for one that had an anti rust coating put on the bottom, and obviously one that has been maintained.

My P38 was purchased in MA new, and spent the next 12 years of its life in NJ. It had an anti rust coating sprayed on the bottom, and now, 15 years later, the only things that have rusted are pieces of the exhaust.

Really though, if I were to do it all over again, I wouldn't even consider buying one that had been coil converted. It ended up costing me about $1200, plus many hours of cursing trying to get the rusted on coil conversion off, and clearing EAS faults.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HJames70- love your signature about warranties..
Here are the images I recieved from the vehicle inspector...rust and all. Even more concerned when the inspector called me [very impressed with Carchex Service,who performed the inspection] to answer any additional concerns I had.He also said that he thought the engine ran hot and cooked the oil at some point recently, which caked onto the inside of the engine- he said probably due to the fact that the engine oil ran low and engine cooked the remaining oil in the engine.
I alway keep my vehicles prestine and cant fathom not keeping any of my cars in tip top shape. [you could eat lunch on the floor of any of my vehicles]

here are the pictures of the vehicle on my dropbox account if you want to take a look..
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nooff094jos8fb8/n7_SKRpsja

cheers and enjoy the pix.
heath

1 - 7 of 7 Posts