RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thanks for your thoughts in advance..
I have owned this Callaway or 15 years, taken care of it, and put a lot of miles on it 170k.. It has been reliable (within reason) and the issues have been simple and direct. I posted a month or so ago that the fuel lines were replaced and our issues began. Lots of totally unrelated issues.. as an aside, the vehicle ran and operated flawlessly prior to the fuel line issue..
1. The motor would run, but raw fuel was coming out of the exhaust. It would stumble terribly, jerking like an off on switch was being thrown.
2. The suspension functioned properly except at start-up where it would drop all the way down as if it was manually set to start there. It could be fully at height, and when the vehicle was started the light on the switch would go to the lowest setting and the rover would drop. We could defeat this by leaving the drivers door open, start the rover, move the switchh to normal, and close the door.. Weird issue..
3. The radio could not be re-set with the code. wouldnt lock out, just goes to dashes.. and can be reset to the code in with the BND button after any number of code entrance tries. weird..
4. the climate control book is open.. the tech says it is the damper motor.. again, worked perfectly before the fuel lines..
5. the drivers mirror will not function with the controls.. and does not dip in reverse.. weird.. the switch to toggle only works the passenger side.. even set to the drivers..
6. the trans will not kick down. the trans seems to be shifting hard..

We have replaced the MAF.. twice.. new plugs, new breather tubes, a few new vaccume lines, a new drive belt.. new front crank seal replaced.. that is what we did..
The symptoms now are: (besides the issues above)
1. very rough at start-up.. starts easily.. but runs rough
2. at low RPM, the motor cuts out fully.. on off on off.. like a wire is broken, bad ground etc..
3. at above 2300prm, the motor has no hiccups, and seems to run ok..
4. feels like it is out of fuel, or the ignition is being turned on and off..

We put an injector cleaner in and a ful tank of premium.. fuel pressure is good.. the throttle position sensor is working..

I checked my records and the battery is pretty old.. it starts easily and cranks easily.. but in the back of my head, I keep thinking that it might be 15 years old.. My mechanic tested it, but not putting a load on it.. going to do that.. maybe that.. or an alternator..

Has anyone else had this, and figured it out? The issues could possibly all be electric related?? So that is why I think the batttery/alternator..

Thanks.. Mark

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
447 Posts
I hope you weren't leaning on the fusebox or the wires underneath, mine is running perfect but changing fuel lines someone could easily damage a brittle f box. I have one watched on ebay at all times. I am not saying that is your problem but if you remember leaning on it that could cause a problem like yours.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts