RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new radiator for my 1999 DSE Auto but I am confused about the part number I need. I hope that someone who has replaced their own radiator can help me.

According to the Workshop manual the radiator in a model with manual transmission includes an oil-cooler whilst the automatic transmission radiator does not. I have confirmed this on the car. The automatic transmission oil-cooler is a separate component.

BUT, Land Rover's Microcat lists the radiator for automatic models as part PCC108470 which includes an oil-cooler. The radiator listed for the manual version is PCC108460 and has NO oil-cooler. Every parts supplier listing I have found shows the PCC108460 as being for the manual model and the PCC108470 is for the automatic. Some suppliers only offer the PCC108470, saying that it can ne used on both manual and automatic models. If you have an automatic you simply leave the integral oil-cooler unconnected. This doesn't seem ideal, to me.

I am not so arrogant as to suppose that I am right and all of the parts listings are wrong, so could anyone clarify this for me, please?

To summarise, I need a radiator for an automatic DSE (Diesel) model and I think that I need part PCC108460, even though that part is widely described as being for the MANUAL model.

Thanks, in advance.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,218 Posts
I just had a look on LRcat.com, and under the cooling system for the 2.5DT - it shows a whole host of part numbers for the radiator, but none of them specify automatic or manual. also no view of an oil cooler in any of the pictures/descriptions.

I have also just had a look on Island 4x4 in the UK, and under the cooling section for the 2.5DT, it has a radiator listed as:[h=1]Radiator P38 2.5TD (Manual & Auto) PCC108460 PCC108470[/h]Link is below:
http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/radiator-25td-manual-auto-pcc108460-pcc108470-p-385.html

From the looks of the pics, there appear to be a couple of hose connections on the bottom of the radiator, which I would presume to be for the oil cooler...

Maybe drop them an email to confirm?

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for checking that for me. I think that Island 4x4 are offering one part that can be used for either situation. If you don't need the oil-cooler then you don't use it, but that means that the effective radiator is smaller. I will check with them, as you suggest.

My current thinking is/was that PCC108460 has the oil-cooler and PCC108470 doesn't. I had changed my mind! That is, until I checked with Paddock's and they told me definitely the other way round. I shall pursue this to the death and post my findings here.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I missed your reply somehow. It is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I have changed the radiator on my 2000 DSE auto which may or may not be identical to yours. I would guess it is.

A few points to note which may help:

All diesel autos have a separate transmission cooler located under the LHS front wing behind the bumper.
The manual diesel has the ENGINE COOLER built into the radiator.
The auto diesel has a separate small ENGINE COOLER located under the turbo intercooler.

The radiator for my car is PCC108470 and without an oil cooler. I am almost certain it is the same as yours.

My other advice is buy OEM, not aftermarket. Reports are that they do not last.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Now there is some excellent info on more tha a few fronts. Given the number of folks that want to relocate their auto tranny cooler might be able to use a manual radiator and utilize the engine oil cooler for their autobox... jsut a thought.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Hmm........there's a thought that might indeed have some merit.

Use a diesel manual radiator with the built in engine cooler on an auto but pipe it up as the transmission cooler instead and do away with the silly under wing cooler.

Unfortunately I don't have a manual one to look at to get an idea of the relative sizes. The heat transfer area needs to be roughly the same size, or maybe smaller if it is located at the front?

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
On petrol engines the autobox cooler and engine oil cooler are pretty much identical. In fact I know of at least two members that have used petrol cooler for their diesel autobox in order to mount fog lights. It would indeed be very interesting to get some further info on the cooling area for these different options.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I looked at fitting an aftermarket cooler up front. There was a write up on here by another member a year or two back.

The problem on my car is there is no space. I sometimes fit a removeable winch and the receiver part fills the space behind the bumper.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Got my information slightly wrong. The manual diesel radiator has the manual gearbox cooler built in, not the engine cooler. Unfortunately I did not have one to look at.

After checking, it does not seem anything like as big enough to use as an auto gearbox cooler.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice on the part number. That confirms my thinking and contradicts the advice given by some suppliers. I'll get an OEM or genuine part, as you suggest.

The Paddock web site has a photograph of the "manual" radiator PCC108460. Ignore the confusing caption. The transmission cooler connectors are clearly visible. I would guess that if the manual transmission cooler was thought to be big enough for the automatic box then it would have been used instead of the separate unit!?

http://www.paddockspares.com/pcc108460-radiator-without-oil-cooler-turbo-diesel.html

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Another alternative you could consider is getting one made up in brass locally. Any radiator company worth their salt could make one the traditional way using the old one to copy off.

Something I wish I had done but mine blew up all of a sudden. Better than modern aluminium and plastic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that is an idea! I'll look into it. This will be the third radiator in the vehicle, so it could save some hassle in the long term.

·
Registered
87 Posts
May be again. But I have the same issue. I have a 2000 diesel. (latest model 2001 with fog lights)
The radiator has no build in oil cooler (as far I can see). But all manuals, part lists and suppliers say diesel automatic must have an oil cooler.....

It looks like the diesel cars HAS NO intergrated oil cooler in the radiator (may be earlier models?). Also microcat says oilcooler inside.

It is more important if I order a radiator with build in oil cooler if it fit in my car. May be there is no room for the extra connectors from the build in oil cooler.

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just check the side. Island4x4 offers 1 radiator for both manual and automatic diesel. As you can see there are 2 connectors for the oil cooler PCC108470. I am wondering if the 470 fits my car. May be there is no extra space for the not used oil cooler connections.......
Buty off course still wondering why all others say 460 is pcc108460 is for manual and pcc108470 is for automatic. What i see is that i need for my automatic the pcc108460.

By the way my latest diesel HAS factory fog lights. Older cars has only fog lights on petrol. Not on Diesels. They changed the transmission oil cooler behind the foglight. so fog lights can be mounted.

the car is 16 years old. still wondering why there is no correct partnumber..... (but to less latest diesels I think)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The manual diesel has the gearbox oil cooler built into the radiator but I know some people have fitted this radiator to the auto diesel with the oil cooler part left unconnected. Best to get the auto version I think particularly if the engine has been chipped. The heat transfer area on the water side is reduced with the built in oil cooler.

I myself have fitted an uprated Allisport radiator which has the built in gearbox cooler. I am running it disconnected at the moment and I plan to plumb it in to my auto box so I can fit fog lights. Project is on the back burner at the moment.

I guess manual diesels which don't have the under wing cooler could have fog lights fitted. I have never seen one though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for your answer. I go to find the one without oil cooler.
Johnseedee told me the one without oil cooler has a better engine water cooling.
About the fog lights. I have a 2001 model. It has factory fitted fog lights. I think they put another model oil cooler on it. It is beside the fog light with a fan.
The part no of the radiator is PCC108460 and not PCC108470 for the diesel automatic. It is wrong in microcat also.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Here is one from Paddock Spares

http://www.paddockspares.com/pcc108460-radiator-without-oil-cooler-turbo-diesel.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAws20BRCs-P-ssLbSlg4SJABbVcDpYOXyxl4ABBtUH0CvgV6muzWxhmeTAFy7Wz5WW79DyBoC_ybw_wcB

A reliable supplier. I have used them many times in the past. Prices usually not quite as sharp as Island4x4. I usually say stay with genuine or OEM for radiators, but at least with Paddock you can send it back if there are problems. Don't buy on Ebay.

Regarding your factory fitted fog lights ...... let me get it right ..... 2001 model auto ? ......... gearbox oil cooler under the wing ? ...... with fan ? ............ how?

I have tried it. I bought a set of fog lights and they don't fit with the oil cooler in place. There is no space at the back. The fog lights are too deep.

I have the 2000 auto DSE. Maybe a previous owner has modified yours? A picture of would be appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have had a mail from johnseedee. He find out the exact part of the radiator. The land rover code PCC108470 yes 470 for the one without oilcooler. Many suppliers use no good part numbers. But I need the one without oil cooler for an automatic. If you fit the one with oilcooler, then the car has less engine cooling.

About the fog lights. It is one of the latest cars. model 2001. It is delivered in Belgium. It is a full option car. As far as I know the fog lights are 100% Original..... The oil cooler is one with an electric fan. I can make you a pic. Then you can see it. By the way also the airco condenser for this latest is different from the ones before and difficult to get. may be same with your car. I do not think it has something to do with the different oilcooler for the fog light.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts