RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys a few month ago I bought my RR with only 100k miles from its original owner. I love it btw. It was a leisure vehicle before but I drive it daily in a mountainous environment and it’s awesome. Lately though when I accelerate from a stop or up a hill I’m hearing and feeling a clunking sound in the drive shaft or transmission beneath me that goes away after I speed up. And unfortunately I drive on nothing but hills. I ask because I’m new and am unsure how to post to older threads. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Great website btw- what a fantastic resource

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that as soon as I bought a couple of months ago I had a certified mechanic do a complete service and inspection of the vehicle and no problems were found.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,069 Posts
Most likely wear in the chain in the transfer case. Good news is that if you can put up with the backlash they last forever, albeit with gradual deterioration. I had a classic with 380,000 ks on it where I used to take 2-3 seconds to let the clutch out to take up the slack in the chain. I would reckon around $2k AUD for a repair job in a shop, else you could do it yourself but it is heavy work getting the case in and out.
Also worth checking the universal joints. Rotate them by hand to see if there is any slop then grease them up and see if there is any difference.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
It may be the case that a jumping transfer chain on a manual isn't a big deal Johnno, but on an Auto it is. The shock loading on the box will flip the sprag clutch sooner or later, leading to a requirement for a new or refurb gearbox.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys I should have mentioned it’s an automatic. Is it something my mechanic may have misssd? Perhaps I should take it in and have him drive it so he can diagnose it. I’m not adverse to spending more money on it but if I can live with it for awhile that’d be nice. Thanks you guys for the prompt responses btw I appreciate the input!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Every time it clunks, it is wearing the chain and sprockets more so needs doing as soon as possible unless you can drive it gently enough that it doesn't clunk. It isn't something you can see without pulling the transfer case apart so unless it did it when your mechanic drove it, it isn't something he would be able to notice. Chain alone can be replaced as long as the sprockets aren't too badly worn with the transfer box in situ.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sure is nice to have a place where there’s all of you fellas who know what your talking about. It definitely gives me some piece of mind and I’ll get it looked at ASAP. Much appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Check all U joints first. Often neglected, and easy and cheap to fix....Wait too long, and you will regret it. If greasing them quiets them down, then order new ones and change them.
At 100k, it would be likely culprit.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,722 Posts
Bolt is dead on. Ujoints rarely get serviced at every oil change as the schedule calls for. Precision 344 are appropriate for all Classics from 88 up and all P38s. All 4 are identical and they can be had for appx $20 ech. Considerably less expensive than others, much better built and have an extended zirk fitting for easier service.

A transfer case chain on a P38 does not clunk when it begins to fail. In fact I've never heard one make any noise until it stretches enough to skip and it sounds like a machine gun being fired under the car.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Anyway finding the answer is straight forward - if you grease up the u joints and get a short term fix that is your problem. Replace u joints. if the chain is worn, there is a continuous whirring noise as the slack rubs on the case, if you are on the flat say on the expressway, the sound changes when you go from accelerate to decelerate, as the slack changes from one side of the drive to the other.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,722 Posts
Yes, and none of the transfer case issues makes a "clunk"sound or feel as the OP described. It may drone, it may whir but they never make a clunk as there is nothing that solid about chain slack. When UJoints wear you get slack in the the front drive line first. That slack is taken up with acceleration when the throttle is applied from a stop and from a slack throttle position when starting up a hill. The same will happen on a long straight away, your let your foot off the throttle to maintain speed and you get the clunk again when you apply throttle. The transfer case has none of the actions or responses the OP has described in his original post.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Well I would describe it as a clunk. It reminds me of riding a motor bike with a worn chain. At any rate it is easy for the OP to check if it is the universals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts