RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a slow coolant leak - about 0.5 litres every few days. I have a 1998 RHD P38 2.5 litre DIESEL (BMW engine).

Last year I replaced the waterpump, thermostat and all coolant hoses as a precaution. The radiator looks fine.

I took the plastic undertray off today - the small one that goes under the sump and above the steering damper.

There is coolant on the air con compressor which is on the driver's side of the engine under the turbo.

It is very difficult to see where it can be coming from.

Is there a core plug above the compressor?

Is there a common place around here for leaks to occur?

Pictures attached - thanks as always in advance.

IMG_8905.jpg IMG_8906.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok to answer my own question - I had a poke about with a torch and mirror and also removed the plastic piece that holds the undertray for better access.

There is a core plug above the air con compressor and below the turbo.

I had to pop out earlier so the engine was warm so not 100% sure it is leaking from there yet. It looked slightly pink but it was hard to inspect. I will take a look in the morning when the engine is cold so the coolant that is weeping is not evaporating and see if the core plug is wet.

Not sure how best to change it or where to buy one from - any ideas?

I can either remove the turbo or the compressor - I do air con myself so I have no problem regassing it if I have to.

Cheers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For future reference that core plug is Land Rover part number STC2005 or BMW part number 11111714712

There are seven in total in the block.

I had trouble finding one, in the end I resorted to Fleabay where I ordered a pack of 3 for £3.95 delivered.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts