RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with my sump gasket it has blown for the 4th time this year so far and was wondering if I can put a thor sump on the gems engine as i believe the gems sump may be warped. does anyone know if this can be done and if so was it a successful swap?

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
and if it is warped it's only a steel pressing. Take it off, lay it on a flat surface and go around the edges with a hammer to get the mating face flat again.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
and if it is warped it's only a steel pressing. Take it off, lay it on a flat surface and go around the edges with a hammer to get the mating face flat again.
It is a pressed stee pan yes, but has a pressed lip. Beating it with a hammer would ruin the pan. Proper installation with a heavy bead of sealant will take care of any flaws and/or warpage.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Yes it is but I've seen a couple where the edge has been bent where someone has hammered a screwdriver in to lever it off as the original sh*t to a blanket sealant didn't want to let go. I wasn't intending that anyone would bash the whole thing flat, just straighten up any bent bits.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Still not needed. Make sure block, front cover and pan are clean, apply bead, install with only 4 or 6 bolts and only tight enough for bead to make contact with the block/front cover, wait 15 minutes then install remaining bolts/nuts and finger tighten, wait an additional 15 minutes and snug up the bolts. The beat will have filled any irregularities and both surfaces will have a clean seal. If you just slap the pan in place and torque it up the sealant is forced out the sides leaving little if any to maintain a seal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts