RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am from Malaysia. I bought a secondhand 1997 4.6hse a year ago. I enjoy drive the car. But she make me sick :crybaby2: in high speed, i overtake a car, suddenly something explode under my car on driver side. she become loose power but still smooth in idle state. when i press accelerator, she like got fever and the rpm less than 1500. i drive it back slowly. and now she can not start properly, and will stop by itself. Please help me.. I very appreciate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. I do not sure. i hear something explode on the driver side under the truck during the insiden. There is lequide flow from the side of the the centre exzoust box on the right ( driver side). The liquid out from five tinies hole of exzoust box sides. I had change spark plugs, clean stepper motor, check fuses, check the line of air intake, check cable spark, coils of the spark plugs, from the engine (out side) and under the truck, nothing there strange except the exzoust box. FYI i stay far from authorised dealer of Land Rover car. So why i need to know through internet. i try do it by myself. I very need your advice. and i hope someone else can help me. Please help me...

·
Registered
407 Posts
bad cat???
Check engine light on?
crankshaft position sensor?

I could keep going, just some more things to look at and think about

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi, vmystikilv. thank you very much for your response. yes the ' check engine' appear and never vanish until the start. if i don't mistake the " check engine " should disappear after the system checked. This happened long ago before the misfiring. this is the symptom of what ? How to check the crankshaft position sensor ? What the symptom of crankshaft position sensor failure. Actually this type of car still new to me. i have no experience. I the only have the type in my town. Nobody i can share my trouble. I' m alone here. I very appreciate what you wrote here. Thank you

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Where in Malaysia are you?? I am in Klang valley.

If you are near we could look at your car to diagnose the problem more clearly.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine as done the same thing exactly a couple of months ago.

It was the crankshaft position sensor.
As it doesn´t read well the information for the BECM is wrong and the engine doesn´t work well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, Busas and everyone, Thank for all your advise. Yes , it was caused by crankshaft position sensor. The tip was damage, its tip bent towards its body. Crankshaft rotor was damage also. one of its blade break, like smashed by something. That mean i need to take off the gearbox and pull out the flywheel. Crankshaft rotor stick on the flywheel. I just want to know if there is any setting for the gear box after i reconnect it to the engine. Is there replacement kit four the rotor blade ? Advice me how to separate the gearbox.

Thank,

Regards.

JAS

Malaysia.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine was also bend over , and two pieces of metal were all smashed inside that place.
What i have done was just fix the crankshaft sensor , put it back in place and started the engine.

Still running , this was about six months ago. :oops: :oops:

What I think it is not the Crankshaft rotor but this problem :

Vibration in Torque Converter
Vibration felt in the engine is abnormal on the 4.0/4.6, as the engine is one of the smoothest ever built. When it does happen, you can be sure something is wrong. One relatively common cause is the torque converter flex plate. Mark Chandler reports that his 4.6 HSE developed a nasty engine vibration between 3000 & 4000 RPM, below and above it was absolutely fine. The dealer suggested it was cam shaft failure, but a new cam did not fix the problem. After phoning around, Mark found that a common failure on these engines approaching 100k is torque converter flex plate. The part costs only £18 (genuine item). Mark reports it was simple to fit with the gearbox pulled back. The job took him all day with a small trolley jack and a bag of hand spanners (wrenches) to separate the engine and box but nothing really hard involved here (apart from the weight, be careful). "The problem on the old flex plate was elongation of the holes which bolt through to the torque converter, only 1/4" but this was enough to provide an imbalance and spoil ride. Now back to nice and smooth...."

Since it has a bit of a vibration since then , not a nasty one because were really small pieces.

Next week or in a month time , i´m going to open under the car and get it checked.

Tell me if it is really the rotor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts