RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what happen. I have a 96' 4.6 and over the last few days I've had to hold the key to the start position for a few seconds for it to start. It would sometimes take up to 30 or 50 seconds to send power to spin the starter before it would start. Now it won't do anything at all no matter how long I hold the key on. The battery is fully charged. I can hear the regs. clicking. Any ideas or has anyone heard of this problem?

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
johnnyrover said:
I'm not sure what happen. I have a 96' 4.6 and over the last few days I've had to hold the key to the start position for a few seconds for it to start. It would sometimes take up to 30 or 50 seconds to send power to spin the starter before it would start. Now it won't do anything at all no matter how long I hold the key on. The battery is fully charged. I can hear the regs. clicking. Any ideas or has anyone heard of this problem?
Sounds like a relay on its way out. Start by checking the starterrelay in the fusebox (16 IIRC, labeled (SM)). If you have power to the input (from the BECM) and to the output, the problem will be in the startersolenoid or the startermotor itself.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
johnnyrover said:
If I swap a relay out and it still doest it. Does it mean its the starter motor?
Probably, or could just be a bad connection.
The startersolenoid has 3 cables going to it: a thin one, coming from the starter relay which should give 12V if the ignition is in position III.
Two big ones on the same bolt are the 12V feed from the battery and alternator.
Lastly, there's a short cable between the solenoid and startermotor.
Also check the starter has a good earth.

If the connection seem OK, you could try powering the startermotor directly to check it's operation. But be carefull as the currents are high!

Greetz,

Filip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts