RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 P38 "Maracas" rattle from front end when hitting speed bumps or bumps in general

My son describes the rattle sound like maracas when you hit a speed bump or a pothole in the street. First thought was maybe the caps on the lug nuts were worn or loose but I don't hear it from the back, which has same age and type lug nuts.

Are there common items that may cause this sound on older P38's?

Thank you -

Brett Harris

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Re: 1996 P38 "Maracas" rattle from front end when hitting speed bumps or bumps in gen

Hi

Are you experiencing a wobble in the steering wheel? There are some threads on here where the dead wobble is discussed. At higher speeds the car can become almost uncontrollable due to shuddering and shaking.

This problem can be caused by worn out ball joints in the steering and or suspension of the front wheel lower and upper ball joints. A worn out steering damper will enlarge this problem, while a new steering damper may reduce it.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 1996 P38 "Maracas" rattle from front end when hitting speed bumps or bumps in gen

Thank you - no sir - steering is solid as a rock. Just funkly little rattle maracas nosises, only really when hitting bumps.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts

So you came to the conclusion that the lug nuts etc are all OK because you can't hear the lug nuts in the back make a noise, and they are the same age? As my 16yr old would say.....OMG!
Get out and touch stuff bud, before someone gets hurt.
Here is how I diagnose front end noises.
Engine off.
Have someone inside the rig turning the steering wheel hard, left-right-left-right.....etc.
With another person (preferably someone remotely mechanically inclined) under the front end of the rig on a creeper feeling, listening, etc for anything that does not appear to be moving smoothly. If anything is moving roughly, it can normally be felt by hand easily enough.
If nothing found there, then jack up the front end, put it on jack stands, then start yanking on wheels etc.
Between those two little tests, 99% of front end problems can be easily found.
Whatever you do, do NOT count on something being OK, due to another part being OK that is the same age.
Thanks for the Sunday morning laugh though mate!:thumb:
Martin

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Always a joy to ask a simple question and get a smart-ass answer :) Yeah - done a vast majority of that - glad your teenager is like mine, at least I'm not alone. Touched quite a bit around the front end which is why I asked - so clearly I'm out on my own here.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Why do you think you are on your own?
You've got an advice to get you started.
If you checked steering already, then OK. Report back and someone will get you further.

I suggest as a next step to check ball joints. I would check it by jacking a wheel just enough to fit a bar under the wheel and try to pry it up. Should have no play.

Probably there is another way to check them.
qwert.

·
Registered
159 Posts

My cats have broken up and rattle around at start up and over bumps when cold. disappears when hot. prove it by shaking the exhausts underneath when cold.
Paul C

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts

Sorry, but the "weird noise" threads always crack me up.
If you have checked stuff, post it up so we know please, thus saving yourself the "smart azz" replies.
The suggestion of cats/exhaust is a good one, so post the results of that too please?
If it is a front end problem though, having someone yank the wheel etc is the way to go in my experiences.

Martin

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Solution: See thread where there was a hunk of axle shaft in the Center section and also attached to the outer hub. http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-...38-front-wheel-spin-test-viscous-coupler.html

Small section of passenger side axle was bouncing around in there and the "ringing" or rattling sound was produced by it clanging about and resonating.

Always a treat :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts