RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 P38 Can I Swap Front Height Sensors, Left to Right and Right to Left?

Last fall, ride height started to move up and down a little bit while stopped at a traffic signal with my foot on the brake. After about a month of this, the right front of the truck would lower over a 24 to 48 hour period, sometimes to the bump stop. Sometimes the whole right side of the truck would lower and sometimes the entire truck would lower to the bump stops over a 24 to 48 hour period. Occasionally I would get an EAS soft fault but it would remedy itself. Then on Friday of last week (temperature 24 degrees F.), at about 75 MPH, the right front started to lower, the EAS went to a hard fault, and all four corners went down to the bump stops. A local shop read the codes and reset the system. The codes were: 'EAS front right signal incorrect', 'Cannot lower FR', and 'FR valve stuck closed'.  Drove the truck about 20 miles and, at about 70 MPH, the right front started to lower, the EAS went to a hard fault, and all four corners went down to the bump stops, again.  I removed the right front height sensor and measured its performance. With 2 mA running through the sensor, I measured the center pin for voltage and dead spots. Looking down on the sensor, assuming that the pigtail designates 12 o'clock, the high voltage is from 11:15 to 12:45 and the zero voltage position is from 5:30 to 6:30. I get good smooth readings from 12:45 to 5:30. But on the other side it is smooth from 6:30 to 7:30, then intermittent from 7:30 to 10:00, then smooth from 10:00 to 11:15. I think that this is the part of the sensor that is used for sensing on the ride height on the right side of the vehicle. So the question is, can I swap sensors from side to side on the front suspension? Then go to the shop, reset and calibrate as necessary. The only parts listing I could find implied that they were not interchangeable, but many forum threads say that they are swapable. From the fault codes above, is a defective right front height sensor the likely source of these faults? I purchased the Range Rover new 12/1995 and it has 309,000 miles. Until very recently, all service was accomplished at a Land Rover dealer and all preventive maintenance was completed on time, including the rather expensive 30,000 mile checks. Now service is accomplished by a local shop. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Re: 1996 P38 Can I Swap Front Height Sensors, Left to Right and Right to Left?

I have successfully swaped mine over from left to right but mine is a 2000 model ......I have also read that the early ones are not swappable .

·
Registered
75 Posts

yes they are swable, as a variable resistance all they do is changing the resistance value with the car height change, u can verify by ohmmeter.

G

·

since you get a valve stuck message at freezing temps... perhaps it would not be so bad to check the airtank for water and replace the airdryer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts