RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... I left a little while back because I sold Betty, my 4.6 HSE. Well, I have never stopped looking at P38's and with the flash flood like rain yesterday in the City, I missed it more than ever.

I am looking at a 1996 P38 with about 145,000 miles on it. It is being offered at a killer price by a wholesaler out here. I am concerned that it is one of the earlier P38 models and if I remember correctly, there were concerns about it's Engine Management system.

Should I run away from this, or should I give it consideration. I would like to get a P38 again and this is a great / cheap way to get one. However, oftentimes if it sounds too good to be true - it is just that. It is being offered for less than $3000 miles and it looks decent in the pictures.

Thanks for any / all feed back and it's good to see familiar faces / names here again.

Mike.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am trying to go see the car this afternoon. I am certainly considering it, just not sure if I can justify it yet with another car sitting in the garage. :roll:

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
MDO said:
I am trying to go see the car this afternoon. I am certainly considering it, just not sure if I can justify it yet with another car sitting in the garage. :roll:
Then do it the easy way, don't let her set in the garage!

There is nothing wrong with the GEMS system. For a good price she can be a good car for hauling dirty cruddy stuff and getting around in the flods and snow.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rrtoadhall said:
MDO said:
Then do it the easy way, don't let her set in the garage!

There is nothing wrong with the GEMS system. For a good price she can be a good car for hauling dirty cruddy stuff and getting around in the flods and snow.
I am figuring if I can get it for $2,000 or so and it is in good to decent working condition, with 145,000 on the clock - that should be okay. It can be driven for a few more years since I drive in-frequently. The pictures look decent enough, it is stand up on all fours (EAS) seems to work. I also know how to work on these cars inside out and so any "event" would not freak me out.

Here are the pictures of the car:

http://images.craigslist.org/3m83o83pd5 ... c61376.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3ka3mf3ob5 ... ba16db.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3o93pe3ld5 ... 6c1912.jpg

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Very nice! A set of seat covers and a wrecker arm rest and the interior would look pretty good! Outside looks better than my beater!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well... I went to see the cat today. It is a Green P38 4.0 with 135,000 miles on it. The interior is in somewhat okay condition. It had new tires, and the brakes seem to work fine. It has been converted to springs - it seems to be riding high though. The ride was pretty bumpy too, not harsh or severe and it was not bad shocks - just pretty stiff.

Transmission seemed okay and shifted well. I took it for a blast and it downshifted well too. The low range box seems to work fine as well. All the lights and turn signals worked - though the right side lower beam was burnt out. The battery is completely dead, so it needs to be jump started each time - I am concerned it might be a bad alternator, but I did not have a voltage tester with me. The seller also does not have the radio code, so I don't know if that works or not or if the speakers are blown or not. The seller claims to have done a safety check on the car and that things were all working. The car was already smogged and registered, meaning it passed emissions tests.

The interior needs a fair amount of work with missing items. The headliner is sagging and coming out in some areas. I forgot to check the sun-roof, but all the windows work. The drivers side lever to open the door is broken, so that would have to be replaced with the door panel removed. The mirrors all worked and did dip with reverse engaged. The little cubby hole above the radio is missing. The A/C worked well, with all the auto and manual setting working as they should. The cruise control did not work. The passenger's side door is missing the cubby in the door and that needs to be replaced. It was not a bad looking car to be honest.

The exhaust has a leak right in the middle - right beneath the driver's seat area, I was unable to see the condition of the exhaust. I did not sense any vibration from the drive shaft interestingly enough. I was worried about the engine, but when I opened the hood, it seemed to actually be purring - the engine sounded really good. No valve chatter, no mis-firing or hesitation at all. Of course, the good ole heated seats did not work. They came on, but no heat there. The wipers all worked - front and rear but I was not able to confirm the water jets worked - maybe there was just no water there.

The gas tank needs a new lock. The old one was ripped off - I don't know if the dash release does not work or what happened there. I tried the dash release, but I can't tell if it worked or not.

The computer works from the stalk button. However, there is a constant Red SRS warning light on the dash. I did not get any EAS warnings, not sure if that has to do with the new springs, etc.

The seller agreed to $2300, but I walked away from it with an option to come back / call back.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
128 Posts
The fact you walked away tells me you are not too happy with this RR. There is a long 'to do list' on this one and from what you have said I don't think it's been looked after. The P38 needs a lot of care and that costs money, the fact it's on springs is a cheap fix too. I would look at other RR's, maybe a bit more to buy, but most of all, trust you gut feeling... :wink:

SID.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SID said:
The fact you walked away tells me you are not too happy with this RR. There is a long 'to do list' on this one and from what you have said I don't think it's been looked after. The P38 needs a lot of care and that costs money, the fact it's on springs is a cheap fix too. I would look at other RR's, maybe a bit more to buy, but most of all, trust you gut feeling... :wink:

SID.
Thanks SID. That was how I felt, something in my gut said walk away from it. I figured I would save up and just buy a nice one that I feel good about. I did not listen to myself the last time and ended up with a $3700 bill after the car blew it's water pump and radiator all at the same time. Thankfully it had a full warranty on it. BTW... they are offering a warranty on this car as well.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
IMO, a RR that runs well with good a/c, pretty clean on the outside, no eas to mess with, new tires, and pretty minor/cheap fixes on the interior is worth every bit of $2300.

You're rolling the dice with any RR, whether it's 2 years old with 20k miles, or 13 years old with 135k...you just never know.

I'd jump on it, personally.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kmagnuss said:
IMO, a RR that runs well with good a/c, pretty clean on the outside, no eas to mess with, new tires, and pretty minor/cheap fixes on the interior is worth every bit of $2300.

You're rolling the dice with any RR, whether it's 2 years old with 20k miles, or 13 years old with 135k...you just never know.

I'd jump on it, personally.
Hi Magnuss - You the same one who either made or was thinking about a trip to S. America?

I am still thinking about the car. Can I change the springs to ones with softer spring rates and possible slightly shorter lengths?

Could the SRS fault be due to the dead battery? I don't mind fixing minor cosmetic things like the interior pieces, the head liner and such. I am concerned more about drive train issues on the car. Anyone know of a way to test the fuel door release latch to see if it works? And how do you replace one of those things anyway?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1,418 Posts
Not that much money for a working RR. Too bad on the coils.

Overall that is exactly my RR, but I have 200K and still riding on air.

The items seem small enough, but not worth it if you do not want to bother with it. Have fun looking

1 - 14 of 14 Posts