RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took the car (122K miles on the clock) for a 40 mile round trip; Last sunday I did some work around the car and checked the fluids and all levels were OK except for the water that needed 1/2 pint to hit to the "cold" level which is what I have been adding once a year since I have the car (2006)

Anyway, I drove on the motorway for 15minutes , then in traffic for 25 minutes and all was perfectly OK.

When I arrived to destination the parking was on a very steep slope (I could barely stand up) and the car was left there for 15 minutes "nose down".

on restart I got a weird message "Alternator Fault", everything looked fine after restart, with no warning lights.

10 minutes down the road, just after I am leaving the slow traffic I notice the temperature of the water and the light coming on. yikes!

10 seconds later I hit the motorway I see the Temperature coming down and at the very first opportunity I stop and check the water level and the expansion tank was empty.

I waited 4-5 minutes wilst I was doing a telephone call to say I was having issues, then I checked the oil level and color and it was normal, nothing weird there.

I turned on the engine and while refilling the Expansion tank I started sqweezing the pipes , after that I Sealed the cap and let it run for another 7-10 minutes keeping an eye on the T Gauge which remained steady at 12o'clock ; I checked for leaks and found none, all the pipes are normal (not rock solid, I have been into cars all my life and these look normal)

On my way back I went on B roads and spent a good 50 minutes stuck in traffic, always with the T gauge on the safety zone.

Arrive Home checked the cooland and it is all there.

no water in the foot well, dont recall seing any water where I parked the car , but then I was not looking at the ground, no visible leaks.

Many years ago (2013) I had a similar SINGLE episode of water disappearing, but at the time I attributed it to a cold leak (leaking hose only when the engine was cooling down) other that that the Temperatures have been absolutely normal in any condition and since then I have been driving it in traffic every other day.

where the hell did the water go?:shock: and how?:?:

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
It does sound like you had an air bubble in the system. Could have been in there for a long time, in the heater core or such, and only came out when parked nose down. When a bubble of steam reaches the sensor, the reading will shoot up, but it should drop almost immediately, unless you're really low on coolant.
Can't think of any relation that would explain the alternator fault. Then again, it could be unrelated and just a coincidence.

Filip

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I found the problem.....I went for a short spin , just 3-4miles, and on my return I checked if the water was going down while driving and o found the leak , the water pump is shot.

it moves around and you can see the water seeping behind the pulley.

Tuesday I was due for some preventive work on the front end, I will take the occasion to replace the pump and the idle pulley, hoping the pump did not cause other damage.

I will also replace the water cap, the one I have on is not in a good shape.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Good you've found the cause. Water pump is an easy fix. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts