RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Chaps,

I was driving the family home from our vacation last week and the top hose on the radiator just popped off. I had just flushed and replaced the coolant two weeks before at the 100K mile mark. I was alerted by a passing fellow motorist and was able to exit imediately into a Chevron station which was very fortunate.

Upon further investigation I have determined the flare on the radiator is very minimal and the gray painted spring clamps which came with the new hoses when the service bulletin came out over three years ago apparently have a tendency for this to happen at this location on the cooling system. So, keep an eye on that hose and if it looks like it has started shifting on the radiator I would toss the spring clip for an "IDEAL" screw type hose clamp.

On a side note the water pump bearings started making a squeal that I was able to diagnose with a long screw driver as a sound transmitting device. I had to make a couple of wrenches to get the fan and clutch off the water pump. The replacement pump had a rather ugly cast impeller compared to the rather clean stamped metal impeller the original water pump had. But the new pump has no perceptable shaft play. The old one does so my thinking is the bearings were on there way out.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think its an issue of expansion if you use worm type clamps. The standard clips allow for expansion and contraction due to them being spring loaded. A worm type clip doesnt.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The ones on mine are total b%*!ards to put on made by the devil himself. Especially the ones in the guts of the engine. I thought about sticking worm jubilees on to save my knuckles, the morality of the local kids and to save the total f$%& about when I need to change them in future but have stuck to standard ones at present.

Its an Overfinch conversion bar a 6.3 litre lump at present. Hoping Overfinch will 'lose' one soon. :wink:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
The hose thing, happened to me too. I replaced them with " real" hose clamps. Not a problem since.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Delyed response, I know....I hope some of you are still out there. I am replacing my hoses this weekend and was planning on replacing all of the spring-type clamps with worm-type; but after reading these posts, I may re-consider. I'm not in the habit of underminding what the Land Rover Engineers spec out for parts, but I'm just tired of the small coolant leaks here and there. Do any of you think I will encounter massive issues if I did convert to the worm type? Any personal positive/negative experiences with these clamps after several miles on the vehical?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Where my lpg conversion is plumbed into the normal RR cooling system worm/screw ('jubilee') clamps are used. They have been there for 50,000+ miles without problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts