Range Rovers Forum banner

1996 2.5 waterpump

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Escape 
#1 ·
hi folks new to the board

recentley brought the above and noticed a water leak.pressure tested the system and found a small leak from radiator top hose .tightened the hose clip and that was sorted for a few days then i noticed a small puddle i got under and saw water dribbling down the block not a great dealbut enough.

so my question is...are the waterpumps a common fault and are they easy to change

#2 ·
reduntilimdead said:
hi folks new to the board

recentley brought the above and noticed a water leak.pressure tested the system and found a small leak from radiator top hose .tightened the hose clip and that was sorted for a few days then i noticed a small puddle i got under and saw water dribbling down the block not a great dealbut enough.

so my question is...are the waterpumps a common fault and are they easy to change
The waterpumps are known to fail, but are cheap and easy to replace. If you take of the drive belt, you can feel the pump pulley for play. Play indicates a worn bearing, and is usually accompanied by a failing seal.

Greetz,

Filip

#4 ·
reduntilimdead said:
Thanks for the reply i changed the waterpump and so far so good not really taken it for a good run as of yet.

it took me about 3 hours in total to strip change and reassemble the front end so was quite happy with that
Don't mean to criticise, but did you encounter any problems? 3 hours seems very long, all I do is remove the cowling (take off both top hoses and loosen the windscreen and servo reservoirs) with the visco, take off the belt, undo 4 bolts, take out pump, refit pump, belt, visco+cowling and refill with water/coolant. I'd say about 1 hour. :?

Most importantly, you fixed it yourself, always nice (and chaep). :thumb: ;)

Filip

#5 ·
as i have only had it for a short while i took out the rad the intercooler to check them for damage and i wasnt exactly rushing to do the job i was doing it while at work so getting paid for doing it plus i did a pressure test on the cooling system and did a head test to see if the head gasket had gone

#6 ·
reduntilimdead said:
as i have only had it for a short while i took out the rad the intercooler to check them for damage and i wasnt exactly rushing to do the job i was doing it while at work so getting paid for doing it plus i did a pressure test on the cooling system and did a head test to see if the head gasket had gone
That explains. :geek:
Good call checking the rad, one less thing to worry about.
I wish I could work on the car while at work, but I'm limited to just browsing the forum. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.