RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having some issues with the sliding blower control switch on my 95 soft-dash Rangie. It got progressively harder to slide the switch until it eventually jammed up completely on position 3. Strangely enough the blower motor still ran on it’s lowest setting which gave just enough cold air so that I didn’t suffocate during the Houston summer. Anyway, I managed to strip the A/C control panel and get the sliding switch out and dismantled and I found that the plastic slider was slightly melted and the connector looked pretty well cooked. I managed to clean up the switch and get it sliding and working reasonably well again, but I noticed that on positions 3 and 4 the body of the switch was getting pretty bloomin’ hot! I made a set of little jumper wires to run the blower without the switch attached and even when simulating the number 3 position the jumper wires and connector body heat up, although the wires coming into the plug don’t get quite so hot. Presumably the switch isn’t supposed to heat up like this?! My A/C system seems to have been pretty well hacked about, to the extent that the push buttons on the control panel don’t do anything; the A/C just runs continuously. Any ideas on what could be causing this heat build-up specifically at the switch assembly?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
normally I have found that high current resistance causes melting of switches, relays, fuse holders and wiring. at 23 nearly 24 yrs of age I would begin by looking at testing and specs on rave and follow by testing the blower motor, blower motor resistor and blower relay.
my money is on defective or heavy electrical load on the blower motor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts