RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone can confirm compatibility for me here. I've got a line on a complete set of 1995 RRC seats. My front seat cushions especially are a bit worn and torn thanks to some water coming through the sunroof at some point in the vehicle's life. (The center console wood trim is especially rough).

The cushion pattern is slightly different. Are the seats compatible?

All I really need is the drivers side cushion replaced but this set is in such good shape I'm tempted to do a total swap.

Probably underestimating the headache of replacing them. The PO of my 1991 RRC great divide rebuilt the drivers side switch and both front seats are fully functional.

How difficult is it to swap seats completely? Someone quick talk me out of it!

Here are photos from the seller. 1993 on the left. Set of 95 Sears on right

Attachments

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
322 Posts
It'l take some work, but it should be fine. Note that the mounting brackets are different. The 1991 RRC has 3 hex-screws holding it in place. Two of which are on the back of the rail requiring the seat to be moved forward to screw in.

The '95 seats are much simpler and relocated the screws to a always-reachable location

·
Registered
372 Posts
few questions for ya - 1. do you have heated seats in your rig now? 2. is the price of these seats cheap?

reason i ask - is, the 95s do have heated seats, the elements are likely shot. They are all shot in the lower cushion, meaning if you wanted that feature, (living up in the NE, it really is a nice feature) it can be fixed for close to nothing yourself, but you will end up taking the cushion apart in the process, meaning why bother replacing your seats when you can use an upholstery shop, and have them fixed for prob $200 or less...

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,414 Posts
Hopefully someone can confirm compatibility for me here. I've got a line on a complete set of 1995 RRC seats. My front seat cushions especially are a bit worn and torn thanks to some water coming through the sunroof at some point in the vehicle's life. (The center console wood trim is especially rough).

The cushion pattern is slightly different. Are the seats compatible?

All I really need is the drivers side cushion replaced but this set is in such good shape I'm tempted to do a total swap.

Probably underestimating the headache of replacing them. The PO of my 1991 RRC great divide rebuilt the drivers side switch and both front seats are fully functional.

How difficult is it to swap seats completely? Someone quick talk me out of it!

Here are photos from the seller. 1993 on the left. Set of 95 Sears on right
yes they will fit, having owned early 90 rovers and current 95 I can tell you the comfort level of the 95 is or can be conceived as marginally better.
it is not the leather but the foam media seems to be firmer thus cushier on the newer rig. mounts are exchangeable but should be a direct fit.
newer truck has memory seat switches so if going to older model you need to install the older seat control harness..very easy.
good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
few questions for ya - 1. do you have heated seats in your rig now? 2. is the price of these seats cheap?

No heated seats now but that sure would be a nice bonus. What's protocol for addressing failed heating element of they do in fact have that option? 2.) pretty cheap - $450 for complete set which is why I'm considering going though the hassle. Good excuse to give the thing a good cleaning too while I'm at it. Thanks for chiming in!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can be conceived as marginally better.
newer truck has memory seat switches so if going to older model you need to install the older seat control harness..very easy.
good luck.
Great so old switches will work but I'll
Have to manually remember my own seat settings? I'm fine with that!

To get the heated seats to work I'll have to retrofit an auxiliary switch I presume? Is it on/off or are there intermediate settings? I won't hold any of y'all accountable if I light my truck on fire. Thanks for all the great tribal knowledge :facepunch::boom:

·
Registered
372 Posts
I believe 91 - 95 use the dreaded seat ECU... so if your is a 90/91... and you do not have it, unless you get a working one, dont bother with them... it also integrates your mirrors into the memory settings... they have batteries soldered on to them, and they melt over time sometimes a simple battery will fix it, other times like mine, the board is shot, and the only dude i have seen who repairs them wants like 450 plus shipping just for the ECU... as far as heating elements... if you are picking up 95 seats.. the cushion elements are likely shot. Heres a link on how to repair them -

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/seats/seatheat4.html

just know, you will have to pull off the seat cover to do this... be careful not to tear your new seat! Because, im pretty sure an auto upholsterer would charge less than 450 to repair both your front seats, and insert some aftermarket heaters that you could wire up to 12v yourself on ACC power...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe 91 - 95 use the dreaded seat ECU... so if your is a 90/91... and you do not have it, unless you get a working one, dont bother with them... it also integrates your mirrors into the memory settings... they have batteries soldered on to them, and they melt over time sometimes a simple battery will fix it, other times like mine, the board is shot, and the only dude i have seen who repairs them wants like 450 plus shipping just for the ECU... as far as heating elements... if you are picking up 95 seats.. the cushion elements are likely shot.
May have scared me off. Tempted by the complete set so I have all matching leather. Even a quality cushion recover or repair (mine seems beyond repair) will look patchwork, and the complee seat set is going for not much more than a $400 repair. Still not entirely clear if my 1990 controls will operate the 95 seats. Can live without heaters and my mirror controls work just fine don't need auto mirrors.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
I believe 91 - 95 use the dreaded seat ECU...
Memory Seat ECUs w/ integrated mirror/seat controls were 93 - 95 only. To fit on an earlier RRC, you're deleting the memory function. You should be able to use the earlier controls with the seat from the 95. As others have mentioned, your main challenge is the mounts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
372 Posts
May have scared me off. Tempted by the complete set so I have all matching leather. Even a quality cushion recover or repair (mine seems beyond repair) will look patchwork, and the complee seat set is going for not much more than a $400 repair. Still not entirely clear if my 1990 controls will operate the 95 seats. Can live without heaters and my mirror controls work just fine don't need auto mirrors.
Call an auto upholsterer, in BK in the city, you should be able to find a bunch.. I have one out here in CT, but prob not worth the drive. My buddy had his discovery front seats repaired / seat heaters inserted and for the two front seats i think he was at less than 250... Just an FYI...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The only difference is the rear mount. You will have to drill and hole and use some nuts and bolts to hold them in place. The wiring is the same. I've switched out a set before.

Use grade 8 fasteners. Don't buy cheap stuff, you'll die in a wreck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts